Monday, May 01, 2006

Spring Fever, Part Two

This may be the first spring/Easter that we don't have any pictures of the girls with our beautiful spring flowers. Why? because someone is always sick!

On Easter Sunday, Em was sick with a fever for two days, then had a cold, T was sick, last week I was sick and this weekend Kt got the fever. She's home now with it. I feel like I'm running a sick ward here!

It's too bad because my Dogwood tree has come back to life. When my father died three years ago, some good friends of mine gave me a nice gift certificate to a nursery to pick out a small tree. My mom and I chose a Dogwood because my father loved them. They also happen to be the flower of the town I grew up in, Fairfield, Connecticut.

One year after I bought this tree, we had the year of the cicadas. Because the tree was so young, I was advised to cover it in cheesecloth so that the cicadas would not destroy it. We saved the tree, but the branches for the following year were mangled and last spring it had only three blooms on it! I was a little worried, but we left it alone.

This year, my father's Dogwood was beautiful. It's a bit small and most likely too close to the maple it is planted near, but I think it looks very healthy. It is also the same colors as Kt's Easter dress - would have made a great picture! Oh, well... maybe next year?

1 comment:

doubleknot said...

Hope your girls are feeling better.
The dogwood tree is beautiful. Good thing you let it make it on it's own. I used to leave plants in the ground till I was absolutely sure there was no life in them any more - just in case.