Sunday, May 14, 2006

Let Me Tell You About My Mother

I am one of those people who takes great pride in her mother. I am sorry if that is nauseating for some, but no matter how sick it makes you feel, it won't stop me from letting you know just how awesome my mom is! My mom was the "mistake" of her family. She came 9 years after her big sister and 7 or 8 after her older brother. She barely knew them as her parents shipped them off to boarding school in Florida. My mom vowed to get kicked out of that boarding school should her parents even consider sending here there! Did I ever tell you how fiesty my mom can be??

When my mom was in second grade, she spent a whole year in bed with rheumatic fever. Ever since then, she has despised doctors, hospitals, needles, you name it! She passed that dislike for anything medical along to me (and I think it might be trickling down to her grandchildren - funny how that happens!). Have I ever told you how obstinate my mom can be??

My mom went off to college, where she met the love of her life, Dave. They met at The King's College in Briarcliff Manor, NY. He proposed to her in Times Square and they were supposed to live happily ever after. Then, tragically Dave was killed in a car accident over Thanksgiving break. He was hit head-on by a drunk driver, who survived. With her dream of living happily ever after shattered, my mom picked up the pieces, finished her college education and allowed my father, Rudy, to pursue her. Have I ever mentioned how mature my mother is??

After letting my father know he was history if he kept trying to "find himself" at Moody Bible College, she married him and they both became teachers in Connecticut, Fairfield County, to be exact. After their wonderful first child was born (that would be me, of course!), they became a one income family and miraculously bought a house in Fairfield for $25,000. It was on the market for $75,000. It was my mom's starter home. And she still lives there. Have I ever told you how patient my mother is??

Two children later (that would make three of us, all crammed into the 2 1/2 bedroom, 1 bath house), my mom was still living in her starter home on one teacher's salary in Fairfield, Connecticut. With barely a penny to rub together, we never wanted for anything, vacationed every summer, enjoyed a wonderful neighborhood, great schools and had for the most part happy parents. Life was fun, full of laughter, very simple and centered around God. Have I ever told you about the faith my mother instilled in us at a very young age?? or how incredibly content she is??

Finally, crisis struck our little happy family. My sister, in second grade, came down with Reye's Syndrome. She was rushed to Yale New Haven Hospital, where she was in ICU in very bad shape. My parents rallied all their friends, far and wide, everyone they could think of to pray for her, because they believe in the power of prayer. We had friends all over, in Papua, New Guinea, in South America, in England and many places we do not even know of today where people prayed for her. Miraculously, she came home from the hospital in under two weeks without any lasting side effects of this devastating disease. Have I ever told you what an incredible faith my mother has?? and how much she trusts in God??

On our last big family reunion vacation, we went to Hilton Head Island. My father and I planned this trip and everyone came. It had the makings of the beginning of a tradition! What we didn't know was that it would be our last family vacation with my dad, who was diagnosed just before our meeting with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It was actually the beginning of his two year battle. While on that trip, my father bought some Bubba burgers from the local grocery store and got up enough strength to grill for us. While we all devoured one of his favorite meals, delighting in his cooking, my mother remained silent, wondering why her burger was not nearly as good as ours. It was not until the end of the meal that she realized my father at placed on her burger accidentally the paper that separated the pieces of cheese. She had eaten most of that paper! To this day, we laugh hysterically about that day. Have I ever told you how my mother can laugh even in the midst of her darkest days?? She has an infectious sense of humor.

Today, my mom still lives in her starter home. She has put three kids through college, all of whom are happily married, two of whom have children. She is an outstanding teacher, loyal friend, hysterically funny, and a complete joy to her family. Unfortunately, she is also a widow. She goes to church alone, goes to movies alone, eats dinner alone and welcomes every opportunity to do any of these with friends, even when she doesn't feel like it. She is very relational! Have I mentioned how incredible my mom is? Because if I haven't, I want to tell you right now that my mom, should you ever have the chance to meet her, is one of the most amazing women I know. You would be privileged to cross her path, to learn from her, to be invested in by her. I only hope that someday my kids will think even half of me what I think of my mom.

Hey mom, Happy Mother's Day!! Sorry I missed coming up to see you, sorry I never sent a card because I thought I'd be up. I hope this makes up for those disappointments just a little. Thanks for spending the day with your newly widowed friend when you should have been showered with Mother's Day blessings from your own children - you are truly the best!! We love you!!

4 comments:

doubleknot said...

I wonder if your mother knows how blessed she is to have a child that can see all of these qualities in her. I know she must and I bet a tear came to her eye as it did to mine as I read your tribute to your mother.

deanna said...

She knows! But we are much more blessed than she is!! Wish you could meet her!

Anonymous said...

I am so blessed to have three wonderful children who love and respect me. Deanna is a wonderful wife, mother and daughter and a Godly woman. I love you so much!

Your mom

deanna said...

Wow! Thanks, mommy! (I am allowed to call her that, laugh all you want!)