Monday, May 08, 2006

DaVinci Code

T and I went to this thing on the DaVinci Code movie - intriguing. I've never read the book, haven't decided about the movie yet but I think I'll go. I'm much more of a media person than a bookworm these days. I didn't used to be that way, but now I am. After reading through lists and lists of incorrect information within this book, I've just felt that there's little good that can come from me reading it. It's really just disturbing to me - blatantly incorrect "facts" that are presented as truth. Yeah, sure, it's a novel and all, but even good novels can get simple historical facts correct. I think it lends to the integrity of the author and the story!

For real, it's really the idea that someone can present such a blatantly false story as being possibly truth about God that really gets to me. We have riots over cartoons about Allah, but everyone will flock to see a movie trying to prove, using incorrect information, that Jesus Christ was not really God. Is this inconsistent?? Well, maybe not, but it's so totally ironic!

So, if I go see this movie it will be purely for entertainment, although I am sure I will leave it infuriated, so why bother?? Such a dilemma. I am just not sure I am ready to watch two hours of the name of Jesus being mocked! Oh, wait, I listen to that all the time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the book a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even as a devout Christian I was able to seperate Christianity from Brown's prose.

I'm planning on seeing the movie (even with Tom Hanks' bad hair!)... and I would recommend reading the book. It is certainly a suspenseful story!

(and if you get it from the library you don't have to feel bad about putting pennies in Dan Brown's pocket!)