Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Going to Church

How important is being a regular church attender for a committed Christian? This is a question I've been asking myself for a while. Having grown up a VERY regular church attender, I'd have to say there's always a twinge of guilt involved in my churchless Sunday's! Of course, most of that comes from this learned idea that all Christian's MUST be involved in a church body.

A couple of things have had me question this, and I'll try to keep it simple. I know some Christians who do not attend a church. Sure, it leaves a bunch of questions in my mind, none of them is "Is this person really a Christian?" Most of my questions revolve around the "Why?" factor. Why would this person not want to go to church? Why do they dislike church? Why wouldn't they want to be a vital part of God's community? Why do I think church is so important anyway?? Some questions ask What? What happened to make them not want to go back to church? What is it about churches these days that seem so unauthentic? What will they do when they need a church family? What do they do to participate in the body of Christ?

Years ago, I would have seriously questioned the true beliefs of someone who did not attend a church or at least think that was important, even if they couldn't find the "right" one. But today I think times are very different. Churches are huge or they seem a little weird - this is ONLY my opinion!! Personally, had I not gone to church all my life, I would never step foot into today's megachurch - just way too intimidating to me. And smaller churches - well, I've not found one that I really liked, that seemed very authentic or doing much in the way of meeting needs. I'm sure they are out there, right now I am not really looking. When I was looking, well, it was slim pickin's!

Finally, I've questioned this because I just find it interesting that so many missionaries around the world find themselves sent to area where there is just not a church! Now, if God really expected all Christians to go to church every Sunday, then wouldn't he make sure there was a church for all the Christians who went out into the world to tell about Him? Sure, many of them start churches, but who will minister to them?

That's a job I think our churches should be doing. In fact, T and I have had numerous discussions about how to involve the children of missionaries in the very things we plan for our students here. It would be costly, but I think for interested families, it would meet a very vital need for them.

In reality, I feel sad for my Christian friends who, for whatever reason, have not gotten involved with a church. I do think it's important, I do think Christ calls us to act as a body together. Whether it's a physical building, or a group of believers - that is not really what I question. I would just love to see Christians engaged in the work of God with other believers, to share corporate worship as part of their walk with Christ and realize their place and service in Christ's body. There is no perfect church here on earth - and no one should look to the church to solve their problems or meet all their needs. That's God's job!

No comments: