Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Tomorrow

Almost today! is finally the day that Em's friend, our neighbor, will hopefully have her bladder reconstruction surgery. It will be the third time this little 4 year old will bravely walk into the hospital for major surgery. The first two times, she ended up home due to a chronic infection caused by a germ she contracted at this very same hospital! A huge source of stress for this family. I think they are feeling like they are not really sure what will happen tomorrow.

Em is concerned about her friend but comforted by the fact that she won't feel anything. Apparently, the two of them have discussed this, but I know Em still worries. She asked me today if she was going to have to have surgery. I told her she would not have to have the same one M is having, but in life there is always the chance that someday we might have to have something like this.

The truth is, I dread having to even think about this. With all the illness traveling around the four of us lately, it has reminded me how I am totally paralyzed when illness strikes. It's almost like the trigger for my complete shut down. I seem to have developed this fear or panic when anyone, especially me, is sick. It's been weeks since I've regularly exercise, or thought enough to plan a weeks worth of healthy meals or even thought much at all. Illness consumes me - in a terrible way. I think even my blogging is interrupted.

Anyway, if you have a free moment tomorrow, pray for this family - that things will proceed smoothly, that they won't be sent home a third time, that recovery will be quick, that their two year old will adjust to being without mom and dad on a daily basis for a couple of weeks while big sister is in the hospital and pray for a successful surgery! Thanks in advance - all the prayer offered up will make a difference - I know that.

Here is a short piece of what my neighbor's pastor wrote to them after last week's attempt and being sent home with a PIC line, IV antibiotics to administer every six hours and the unknown surgery date at that time:

Yes, sometimes it is hard to comprehend why a child has to go through such things. And other times it seems impossible to comprehend it. I hope Pastor B's sermon on Sunday was helpful to you. We follow a God who died on a cross for sins he didn't commit, and then rose from the dead to new life. Therefore, He is with us in the midst of things that seem unfair and hard to comprehend. He doesn't expect us to comprehend it all, but to trust Him through it all -- to have faith in His presence and never-ending love, in the communion of saints and the forgiveness of sins, in life now and forever.

I thank God that M has you two as parents -- gentle spirits, committed to loving her, committed to providing her with the medical care she needs. Make sure you two spend time with each other in the midst of all of this so that you keep your marriage in a strong place, you have a safe place to let down your hair and cry and question -- so that you can trust together in God's presence and power. As you do so, you will be continuing to teach this faith to your daughters.

Now, I almost cried when I read that - what a nice note and all of it so true. I just don't know how people go through life in these kinds of situations without faith in Jesus Christ and a supportive church body - I've never had to experience it, and I hope to never be in that place. Let us all remember to extend that blessing to our unbelieving friends, because I'm quite certain a good dose of it is what Christ would intend for them!

And to our neighbor/friends - wishing you the best tomorrow - you are in our prayers!!

3 comments:

doubleknot said...

Prayers and positive thoughts for your neighbors and for you. All we have is our faith that God knows what he is doing. Often bad things turn out to be good things in the end.

Anonymous said...

Blessings to the family. I pray she will stay healthy through the surgery and her parents feel comfort from God.

Hope you and all of your sicklings are feeling better too!

deanna said...

Thanks for your prayers - they were awesome!!