Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Midyear

Since this is my first year back doing anything teaching related, this is my first midyear review stuff. It's so time-consuming, even with just 8 students teaching them one subject. Of course, it's a bit more detailed, anecdotal and specialized/individualized. I'm looking back over months of instruction and seeing a lot of progress and really enjoying the students.

Today's funny moment.... one of my groups is reading a story entitled "An Elephant's Trunk" all about the things an elephant can do with it's trunk. On the back cover is a short poem about the difference between and elephant's trunk and the kind you "pack" clothes in. One of my first graders read "pick" instead of pack clothes in the trunk, so I asked him if that sounded like it made sense. Without hesitation, he replied very confidently, "No, that doesn't make any sense. That's because it's FICTION!" After I recovered, I thought to myself, "These kids are smarter than I give them credit for!"

No comments: