Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Melting Pot

So, I took my mom to the Melting Pot tonight - a great fondue place. It's a little pricey, but fun! The food was excellent, it was a nice evening out for us both. Today would have been my parent's 38th wedding anniversary, so it was nice to recognize that with her.

I was a bit annoyed, however, with the Melting Pot tonight. My mom had gotten a little card the last time she visited for a free chocolate fondue. The card read that you could get dessert with a "combination meal or dinner for two." That's exactly how it reads - nothing in capital letters suggesting there might be something by this title on the menu. We ordered cheese fondue, salad, chicken for each of us and then asked for that dessert. No - our waiter said it was only included is you choose the "Big Night Out" or "Signature Dinner for Two" on the menu. Now, that annoyed me. If that's what it means, then that is what it should say - am I wrong??

To me, this has scam written all over it! The card was given out as a Thank You for dining on an evening when The Melting Pot was having a fund raiser for St. Jude. A portion of each bill went to St. Jude's and patron's for that evening were each given a card. I believe this whole thing was a bit misleading, but whatever!! We skipped dessert and I think I'll pass on The Melting Pot for a while. Just left a bad taste in my mouth!

Tomorrow I'm off for this women's retreat. My bad attitude has not been curbed in any way. I think I'm just tired from all this traveling, doctor appointments, being sick... I need some time at home but instead I'm heading off again. I am so looking forward to next week - so far, it's looking nice and boring... Oh, except for the last farm field trip (yeah!) on Monday, babysitting for Connections on Tuesday morning (how did I get roped into that??), and whatever else someone convinces me to do! Does it ever end...??

I also have to send my mom home on the train tomorrow. I hate doing that. I really do wish that she lived here, but she dislikes it here as much as I do. That is a pipe dream! And T has to work this weekend - making it even more of a pain that I am going away. Not only is it costing me $200 for this retreat plus gas money, we have to pay a babysitter to do something I should be home to do! UGH! It's no wonder I haven't been on a retreat in 10 years. Everyone is in a bad mood about it!

I guess I need to go to bed!

1 comment:

doubleknot said...

There is always 'the fine print' with anything free.
We have these commercials for a 'free' credit report here and at first you had to be quick to see the fine print - you had to enroll in this program - I guess they had so many complaints that now the commercial has a voice saying you have to enroll to get the 'free' credit report.