Thursday, August 31, 2006

Playground "Safety" Part Two

Today I stopped in for lunch with Em when I was turning in Kt's asthma meds. The same three parents from Monday were there again today. I guess they have gone in everyday! Hmmm... and all in the same class. Very strange...

Anyway, Em was sitting with a new friend today. Extremely sweet little girl. She was a talker, which must be why Em likes her! Em mentioned to me that the "coach", who didn't send her in for ice when she hurt her eye outside, asked her to take another little girl to the nurse today for ice. She had fallen and skinned her knee. After telling her story, Em's new little friend chimed in that she had to go to the school nurse when she hurt her back yesterday. She then showed me her back, with a huge scrape up it. She apparently fell just like Em did while sliding down the same monkey bars.

I have said all along that our playground is inappropriate for kindergartens, but now I find myself in a Catch 22. If I make a stink about it, the kids will have nowhere to play. If I don't, they'll be visiting the nurse in droves each day. Maybe then they'll actually do something about it. I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Em was quite impressed with those playground scars. Those two girls now have a lot more in common than just being talkative!

No comments: