Tuesday, August 01, 2006

School Supplies

Have I mentioned how much my older daughter LOVES school?? She loves it so much that I'm worried my second will be the complete opposite, as she has tended to be, and absolutely hate it!

Like many parents in America and beyond, we've spent a couple weeks gathering and organizing school supplies. In our county, the school supply lists are outrageous. I believe I've spent close to $50/child on supplies, which are clearly listed with correct sizes (.77 glue stick, Elmer's NOT school glue, baby wipes 80 ct. from Giant food store ONLY, etc), amounts (that would be 7 super large glue sticks for my kindergartener!!) and sometimes colors and places to buy them. It's rather annoying. They have finally taken off the list the ream of paper each child was to send in, it is now only a suggested donation for kindergarten.

With all those items to buy, school clothes, backpacks and lunch boxes tend to be the icing on the cake. We have spent a couple weeks pricing backpacks for my very selective and picky older daughter. We narrowed it down to a cheetah print backpack at the Children's Place for $15.50 or a light blue Jansport backpack at Target for $19.99. The cheetah print favorite was too small, the one at Target I was hoping would go on sale. I totally lucked out going to the Target up here yesterday and found a slightly different one for $7.99!!

Score, and my 8 year old was quite happy I'd finally agreed to buy one. For $8, I can bear to watch it being dragged from the bus to my front stairs without completely losing it, if it were to disappear I would not go into cardiac arrest and my daughter is quite happy to have this new backpack. So happy, in fact, that she has carried it around my mom's house (in her new palazzo pants also from Target!) non-stop since we brought it home. She wanted to take it to the beach but we said no. She has insisted that her sister play school with her and has even allowed her 5 year old sister to be the teacher so she can be the student and carry around her new, cheap backpack. It's quite funny!

Now I wonder if all those new school supplies will fit in this new backpack?!?

No comments: