Saturday, August 19, 2006

Deer Decoy, Dastardly Judge

I know I haven't posted in a while, and I will catch up soon (once my mom leaves town!) but while she's out for the night, I must comment on this ridiculous judge. I'm sure most have read this story already, but I feel the need to speak my two cents here.

When Judge Gary McKinley announced his decision Tuesday to delay the sentence, he said, "I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm going to. I see positive things about participating in football."


I added the bold, mostly because these words jumped off the page at me right into my "unreasonable" motherly thoughts. If you shouldn't be doing this, than WHY ARE YOU?? You are the judge, you clearly know this is a MISTAKE, yet you are choosing to make it, admitting you are stupid for doing so but going to anyway. All I can say, because I am utterly speechless, is WHAT AN IDIOT!!

Let's see. Two boys put a deer decoy in the middle of a road in the middle of the night and HAVE FUN watching two other boys nearly lose their lives while trying to avoid the pretend deer, swerve and flip their car in a ditch, one going through the sunroof, the other landing outside the car and being permanently brain damaged. This judge has the nerve to suspend sentencing until football season is over because the culprits are the two star football players????

And we wonder why professional athletes think they can get away with drug possession, rape, spousal abuse, doping and all other kinds of serious offenses!?! And I'd LOVE to hear about a judge who suspended the sentencing of a band member, honor society member or school play actor until a concert or play was finished. Go ahead and send me the stories....

The 17-year-old's father, C.J. Howard, said members of the community have made crude remarks when his family shops at a nearby Wal-Mart store and that his younger children are taunted by older youth when they play in the yard.

He said his son would not be the focus of such attention if he didn't play football.

"I don't know why it's about football players. Why isn't it about student council or track?" Howard asked. "He admitted what he did and he faced the consequences like a young man should."


Well, that's just it Mr. Howard. Your family is paying the price of having a son who admitted to a crime that caused serious injury to two men and seemingly faces NO CONSEQUENCE at this moment. It's not about student council or track because for those school activities, those students would be in juvenile hall. You are lucky your son is in school and allowed to play any sport after committing that crime, the one you call a prank. If I were the principal or the judge, your son wouldn't be suiting up for anything other than jail!

No comments: