Friday, August 25, 2006

Sleepover with Em

So, tonight T is away. Kt went to spend the night with her friend. Em asked me right away, "So, can I sleep in your room? In your bed??" She has been gleeful all night that Kt is gone, sad that daddy is away. I thought we'd make a Target run, but her leg hurt (likely story!), so we watched Princess Diaries instead.

Em is such a funny girl. It's fun when I get to spend time with just her and tonight was a gift because soon I won't see her nearly enough. Full day kindergarten is a bit of a curse to me. I feel like I'm being robbed of extra time that I had with Kt. So tonight I enjoyed her a bit.

Part of that is remembering how enthralled my father was with her when she was young. Em has an aura of joy around her most of the time. Her smile is very bright, infectious and her spirit is light-hearted. She has a bounce in her step, everyone comments on the way she walks - like a little fashion model. I can't tell you how many people have watched her walk away and said to me, "Wow, good luck with THAT one!"

Tonight we cuddle together and she once again asked me a ton of questions that she already knows the answers to. She just likes to make sure the answers haven't changed. Why do you love me - because I'm your kid? (that's my personal favorite!) Do you want to share my blanket? (gives me a tiny corner!) I just love spending time with you - don't you? (of course I do) Why can't I stay up longer? (that's a given)

I laid down with her for a bit hoping she settle down and fall asleep. She is very tired, but totally excited about being the only kid in the house with me. She was laying on T's side of the bed and being very giggly. She looked at me and said, "I wonder what daddy will think when he smells me on his pillow?" Giggle, giggle, giggle.... I wonder what goes through that 5 1/2 year old mind of hers. She absolutely loves her daddy and I think in her mind she believes she is the most important thing in his world.

I can say this about T, for never having siblings he did a pretty good job with his girls. They always want their daddy around and love to be with him. If you can make your child think that they are the most important thing in your world than I think you've done a pretty good job.

No comments: