Wednesday, August 30, 2006

No Textbooks?

I just started tutoring a repeating senior today. I have tried contacting his teachers via email and the only one who responded was the one I was warned likely wouldn't use computers. LOL But what really surprised me was the fact that out of all the classes, Consumer Math, US History, Ancient Medieval History and Environmental Science, not one of them sends home a textbook. Now after 4 years of a backbreaking backpack I'm thinking this is completely unfair. AND how do these students complete homework, reading assignments (which for two of the classes makes up a percentage of their grade) and study for tests?? Slowly, I'm losing faith in the public school system around here!!

EDIT: I am happy to report that my student brought along two textbooks today, one for US History and the other for Consumer Math. YEAH!! Of course, now I'm wondering if I can believe him!!??

3 comments:

deanna said...

Matt? If so, you know my student!! At least he knows you! So far, only one teacher has responded and confirmed that the students have no textbook for his class. He uses an old, outdated book and has the students read selections from it in class - doesn't send them home. In other words, I doubt I'll get my hands on one!

deanna said...

Atholton. But I'm sure it's county-wide. He should have graduated last year. Patrick C. Ring any bells? Said he came with a friend for a while...

deanna said...

You'll never guess - P. brought two textbooks along with him today! Wow! Now I'm feeling a little better about this! Except that he's already decided they are too heavy and he doesn't want to carry them! LOL