Monday, August 28, 2006

First Day of School Update

We survived! It was a crazy day and a lot to report. I sent my girls off to school and I think they both had a great first day. I decided to walk on my treadmill as it was hot and muggy out when they left. After that I went to my dr. appointment where I waited for an hour to be seen! This is par for the course where I go, which only makes my appointments even more annoying.

The amazing thing about this appointment was that my blood pressure AND heart rate were normal. That NEVER happens!! Maybe both kids in school all day is good for me!?! Who would have thought. While there, however, I got a TB test and a DTP test. My arm is not feeling so great today, not to mention my slightly swollen eyes will need to hit the hay soon.

After my appointment, I decided to catch the last 10 minutes of Em's lunch. When she saw me, she looked disappointed and said, "Oh... I wanted to ride the bus home!" I assured her I had no intentions of taking her home, just wanted to see how her day was going. She loves it. She loves her teacher, her classmates (except for the one who breaks the rules and pushed her!), she was gobbling down her lunch and ready to head back to class. I love her!

While there, another mom informed me that she had forgotten to send in a stuffed animal, so of course, I realized I'd done the same. Not sure how I forgot that. I remembered the egg salad for lunch, to finish the laundry, label two shopping bags full of school supplies, wrap teacher gifts, pack backpacks and lunch boxes, write notes, get the extra kindergarten supplies ready for T to take in, pack lunches in the morning, take pictures.... how could I have forgotten the stuffed animal?? I have no idea! Anyway, a trip home to grab a lunch/snack, the note Kt forgot to bring in and a stuffed animal only to return to school to deliver. I had a short visit with Kt, where she shared that she was enjoying her first day.

From there I went BACK to the doctor. Since my appointment took so long, I had to return to turn in a form for Kt's asthma meds. The whole office closes for lunch, so I couldn't leave it earlier. Then I went from there to register the girls for gymnastics, came home and totally crashed on the sofa. It's a good thing I woke up before the bus came!

Em stepped off the bus this afternoon with a semi-black eye. Try extracting important details from a 5 year old on her first day of full day kindergarten. It was painful! All I can gather is that she fell from the monkey bars that are totally inappropriate for kindergarteners and hit her eye. The "coach", who we will assume is the insensitive, old, cranky gym teacher, told her just to sit out and rest a bit. Why was the gym teacher monitoring the kindergarten recess?? Where were the other teachers? aides? Why didn't anyone get her ice??? Well, we got her ice when she got home and got the swelling down to a bruise. That will look lovely for school pictures!

We had dinner at Friendly's to celebrate the first day of school. I'm totally spent now. My eyes are puffy from my DTP shot, my head hurts, my arm aches and I sort of feel like I didn't get anything done today. Good thing I don't have anything at all tomorrow - so that is really my first day of freedom!! Yeah!!

Now, for the rest of the school year!

No comments: