Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Day in the Life of a Third Grader

Here is Kt's letter she wrote to us on her first day of school in third grade. I am so happy that she at least sounds happy, as she, for the first time in her life, did not want to go to school on her first day of the year.

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today at school we went to P.E. there, we got to have extra recess. Then, we got to lable our school supplies. Then, we had lunch, and more recess. Then Ms. C read us a book, it was about a person who did not want to go to the first day of school. A boy was with her and made her get out of bed and go to school. When the princeable saw her she showed her to her room.

Then the princeable said, "Class meet your new teacher."

I love my teacher. She is very nice and very funny. We also get to get a planner. It is used for homework. My classroom has a lot of resourses. Its not to bad in third grade. I know alot of the people. I have two or three new students = J and A. Ms. C is a big fan of sports, she had the Ravens and the Orioles flag hanging in her room, she has spots stickers, plus the buliton board says Kicking off a Great Year. the name tags are the shapes of mega phones. I guess to put all this together I can just say I love third grade.


I guess Kt gets her longwindedness from me! I'm only slightly embarrassed. I take no credit for the poor spelling - I'll leave that in the hands of the Howard County School System, who refuses to adopt a formative spelling curriculum!

Kt came home very excited because her teacher read her letter to the class. It was the longest, most detailed letter and the only one Ms. C read. Kt was very proud of herself and that made me super happy. What more could a parent ask for??

Last night, when Kt and I were reading before bed, I had this overwhelming appreciation of her and the gift she is to us. We have our ups and downs, our bumps in the road, but the truth is that I think she is rare in many ways. All her teachers (except for last year's) have told us that she is a treasure, and they've told us multiple times until sometimes it's a little uncomfortable. But I know what they mean, I really do.

Tomorrow she will take in three things that define who she is. She is taking a video she made of her new puppy, Phoebe (I'm not really sure how that defines her!), her CD she made with Uncle D - "My Favorite Color is Rainbow" written and performed by the both of them, and her Bible. I would LOVE to be there when she presents herself, but I guess that's just something I'll have to hear from her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our Abbey started 3rd grade last week...she wasn't too excited either...wonder if it is an age thing.

deanna said...

You may be on to something here. Fortunately, this week has proven to relight her passion for learning... at least for now!