Thursday, October 04, 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away!!

So, I'm here in Savannah, which I love. It's raining. Constantly. I've never seen the likes of it down here. I won't begrudge this needy, drought laden region their due relief, but I'm feeling a little claustrophobic! Here's the situation....

My sister and mom insisted that I did not need to rent a car because they could pick me up and we'd have two cars here. I'm stuck with my sister's Ford lemon, which we found out yesterday cannot really be driven safely in rain! My sister failed to mention that to us, so my mom and I went out for lunch, a quick shopping trip and then home in torrential rain and minor flooding - we are on an island now! As I'm pulling into her neighborhood, the battery light starts flashing, the power steering takes a hike and I'm trying to steer this thing with my brute strength (thank goodness for all that group power - LOL) into the garage. Concerned, due to the fact that I was supposed to drive my mom to the airport half an hour away, we called my sister. She informed us that that happens if you drive through a puddle. Suffice it to say, this entire island is now a puddle!

So, here I am.... just barely got my mom to the airport last night after waiting for my sister to get home with the car that can swim, heading into and out of Savannah again during rush hour, crawling out to I-95 and up to the airport. Thank goodness we're here - my mom checked in her bags, had new boarding passes printed up (my sister's printer doesn't work, either, and I can't go anywhere to get new ink!), and was through security and out to her gate in all of 10 minutes! What an experience!

Savannah in the rain with no reliable car. Well, now, that's no fun! But the kids are awesome! And there's plenty to do around this house, even if it's quiet. Tomorrow my sister is taking the day off, so we'll drop the kids off at daycare (what a luxury!) and have a little fun around town. In the rain, of course!;-)

No comments: