Friday, October 12, 2007

Growing Up in Ffld, CT

My husband is constantly teasing me about things I'll say or talk about that only someone from CT would know. After he did this again last night, I was thinking about a funny list - sort of like those "You know you're from.... if you..." When you're growing up, you have no idea how unique these things are or how regional. Now I know! and my husband never lets me forget it!

So here's my list of things from where I grew up! You know you grew up with me if....

1. You know what "total phone" is, and you thought SNET was the only phone company. Ever.
2. There was a 24 hour diner on every corner, and they were authentically Greek, oftentimes named after Greek gods or goddesses!
3. Between those diners on every corner will be at least 2-3 pizza places.
4. You know without a doubt these three things: 1. The right lane is for slow vehicles, 2. The middle lane is for traveling, and 3. The left lane is for passing.
5. NEVER, under any circumstances (except for teaching another driver a lesson;-)), do you pass on the right.
6. All stop signs with a white border are optional, and to come to a full and complete stop is just idiotic. When every follows the stop sign rules (person to the right goes next) a rolling stop is perfectly acceptable!
7. Whenever you hear a little "ding, ding" it reminds you of the gold days of Full Service at all gas stations. (I just heard one of these yesterday, and it freaked me out!)
8. You were told that all Ivy League colleges had heard of your high school. (what a joke!)
9. Your school had every kind of sports team imaginable, even in the 80s: football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, lacrosse, tennis, swim, ski, golf..... did we have a rugby team?
10. You are extremely proud of the fact that Julia Roberts was in a film, Mystic Pizza, and so now she knows how awesome Connecticut is! You know, Pretty Woman was here!;-)
11. Even though it's only on the Long Island Sound, you love to go to the "beach" and at one time or another you sailed on a Sunfish!
12. You know what a Tag Sale is.
13. You shop at the food store.
14. You never knew there were really places that sell beer on Sundays and after 8pm.
15. You didn't know much about money growing up, but you knew you couldn't afford to live where you did.
16. You had at least one friend whose father worked for IBM or GE and traveled to Europe regularly and always brought home the coolest gifts!
17. You didn't know anyone who lived in an apartment, but thought those condos down the street were fascinating!
18. Most of the roads you traveled regularly were two lane, and if they were more than that you called it a Parkway.
19. Speed limit really meant speed minimum (although I'm learning that's what it means to everyone!)
20. You saw at least one movie star in your lifetime somewhere along Route 1, often in disguise.

That's my short list. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind. Now off to enjoy my weekend!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I don't get it. Aren't all these things the same for everybody? ;-)

The 'Tag sale' in particular drives Chris nuts. I had to learn to say 'Yard sale' just to appease him.

deanna said...

Yup - that one is silly to me. Someone once asked me if we sold tags, I replied, "No, do you sell yards and garages??" I mean, really!

kimsilver said...

I loved the "food store" comment.....I grew up on Long Island....but we said that, too.
Now living in Illinois, I had to learn all new terminology for everyday things. I even catch myself using "their" terminology instead of what I was most comfortable with and grew up with..now, soda is "pop", sneakers are "tennis shoes" (which I think is dopey, and most of the time, I refuse to call them that)), and lollipops are "suckers". There are many other things I realize (now) were total LI things.....or at least East Coast things, that are less obvious.....like your "food store" comment. I still call it that, by the way....even when everyone I know says "grocery store". It also took some getting used to, to actually talk to complete strangers in stores, or on the street, etc. We NEVER would have done that on LI! We were taught to never look someone in the eye when passing them on the street--they may think you are challenging them!! You were supposed to look down as you passed someone! How rude!
Okay, I am babbling now......thanks for the laughs!