Friday, September 29, 2006

Proud Parents

On Friday, T works at home so we are home most of the day together, until next week when I start teaching the 3's class at Mother's Day Out. This is my last free Friday!

T received a call this morning from the school Guidance Counselor. On Fridays, she gives out an ACE award, one per student per grade. Katie has gotten this every year early in the year, so each year we have gotten this call from Mrs. R to let us know how sweet our daughter is, all the nice things her teacher said about her, etc. It's basically a citizenship award and students must be chosen by their teacher or anyone else in the school to receive it.

T came to tell me that both girls got their awards today!! I'm very excited about this because Em is my short fuse - hehe. The guidance counselor told T that both teachers wrote very similar recommendations for them - they are helpful, kind to others and respectful. She also said that at the assembly where they were presented, Em was sitting in the front with kindergarten and Kt was in the back. When Katie was having trouble making it up front to get her dog tag (that's the little award they get) Em jumped up and offered to take it to her sister. Now that I can see! Em is extremely proud of her sister and so excited that they go to school together. (I'm trying to remember if her clothes match today!)

The beginning of this school year has been our best yet. I'm really thankful for that, because sending Em off for a full day of school has been difficult. I don't really think 5 year olds should be in school all day. It goes against what I believe philosophically and what I believe in my heart, but I did it as a trial sort of thing. Every time Em wants to stay home because she's tired, I really want to let her but know that will be the first of many times! She has been quite the trooper making it these last two weeks with no breaks.

Today will be one more fun memory for them of school together. It's things like that they will remember, hopefully not the long, boring days with no parties, no field trips, no cupcakes... Winning an ACE award together, well that at least makes their parents proud!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a proud grandma too!

deanna said...

You should be!

Anonymous said...

A great testimony to great parenting!