Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Snip Here, A Snip There!!

Just last Thursday, we took Phoebe (our new puppy) for her first shampoo and trim. She came home all fluffy, smelling awfully nice (for about a few hours before she had ANOTHER accident). I could tell she had had a little trouble holding still, confirmed by the groomer. Her trim was less than perfect. A few days later, however, it appeared that the groomer had had a slip of the shaver. I noticed a whole spot of shorter hair on her back had been snipped, a place where they did not trim at all.

The whole spot on her back was really a mystery to me. T had mentioned something before she'd been groomed about a chunk of hair on her back missing. I thought he was crazy as he was trying to convince me that her puppy hair was falling out. That just isn't the case - she is pretty mutant in the growing up area. But after the trim, I could see that a portion of hair had been neatly trimmed, obviously with snips as the cut was quite clean. No big deal!!

Today, I tackled a rather large project and one that I'm finding I must tackle biweekly - Em's room. I've written about it before and today was no different. Finding one square inch of visible carpet was a challenge when I started. It's still not finished! After sorting through clothes, garbage, arts and crafts, etc. I came upon something fairly recognizable - a chunk of Phoebe's fur!! Could it be the missing spot??

Why the thought never occurred to me last week is beyond me. Em has been obsessed with cutting hair since she was a toddler, having given herself four rather gruesome looking haircuts! Even yesterday, when Phoebe was "lost" after Em had taken her out it still never occurred to me that she might be playing groomer right in our own house. Even the fact that I gave Em a little hair trim the other night, which likely put the desire in her little heart to once again cut hair. She's promised me over and over again, each time she has requested use of our closely guarded scissors (because of her snip-happiness!), that she will never cut her own hair again. I should have known!!

We had a little talk today when she got home. She is on puppy restriction for a bit, no taking the puppy out of the kitchen for her. Sometimes I forget she is still only 5. Full day school is a good cover for making children seem more mature than they really are. I will not forget, and on the way home from tutoring this afternoon, while I thought about Em giving the puppy a haircut, I really missed having her home with me! I was also hoping she wasn't trying out her new skills at school!!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Hahaha i remember LOVING cutting hair. when i was about 3 or 4 and my sister was a toddler i gave her a haircut! with kids scissors- my mom was sitting right there and she didn't think they could really do any damage, until i proudly showed her the handful of hair id taken off my poor sisters head! she was baldish for a month or so :-) (luckily, she's forgiven me)

Anonymous said...

Love it!! I guess I should keep my scissors out of reach?? HA!

deanna said...

Haha - hide them! Especially after my conversation with the other girls in the class today. Apparently cutting hair is a favorite passtime in that class!

deanna said...

sunflowers - my mom used to cut our hair for us when I was a kid. About one week before our trip to Hawaii, my mom was clipping my brother's hair with electic clipper and the attachment fell off. He had a little bald spot. The funny thing was that she said, "Oops. Uh oh!" and he totally thought she was kidding. When he saw the bald spot, he was not happy! I actually think he's still a little bitter about that and the little sunburn he got there on vacation! LOL

Anonymous said...

My brother used to cut my hair. I think that is the maddest we ever made our parents.

M never cut her own hair or our pets. She just cut our cats' whiskers off!