Thursday, September 28, 2006

Cloudy with a Chance of Cheesy Pizza!

One of my most vivid memories of my father is his love of weather. Even before the days of the Weather Channel, my father was constantly preoccupied with any "weather event", which included anything other than clear skies and warm, balmy temperatures. Once the clouds rolled in, my father would predict, patiently wait and evaluate every gust of wind, drop of rain or cyclone that might happen upon him. Hurricanes were the ultimate in weather events for him, ordinary thunderstorms coming in at a close second, especially if they produced hail!

His passion for weather only increased as each of his children moved away and he could track weather on the weather channel. Even better yet, when he could track weather anywhere in the world on the internet! We'd receive calls all the time about what we could expect in the way of weather while at college or traveling and when we moved, the first thing out of his mouth would always be weather related. In fact, when T called him to ask for my hand in marriage, after a quick, "Sure, congratulations!" he went right into our traveling weather, as we were heading to Connecticut for Christmas. So predictable!

Another vivid memory I have of him was his wonder for his second granddaughter Em. He was in awe of this little girl, from the moment she was born until he passed. I always thought it was uncanny how much like him she was. She had his twinkle in her eyes, her baby picture looked just like his, she has a little skip in her step just like he did. It was kind of odd, but in a small way comforting. She was only two when he died, and she is a constant reminder of him to me.

Em amazingly shares my father's passion for weather. She loves watching the weather channel and at any time, she will pipe up with the latest weather report. I used to think it was her fear of thunderstorms that fueled that passion, but now I'm not so sure. Each morning, Em will tell us all what to expect weather-wise and how we should all dress. She listens to WGTS, a Christian radio station, and I think the weather and traffic are more important to her than the music!

Today she was right on, although I think we all had our doubts! She showed up at the bus stop wearing a tank top, sweat pants, and then layers including a turtle neck and jacket. She announced it would be nice, but that storms would be arriving by late afternoon. It was a totally gorgeous day today, until around 3:30, when the wind was whipping up and now it's very cloudy out. I turned on the TV to find that there is now a severe thunderstorm watch. Boy was she right today! I guess it's a developing faith she has in the weatherman or possibly a kindred spirit that she shares with someone who loved her deeply. Whatever it is, I have this feeling I might someday be watching her on the Weather Channel!

Picture: Em yesterday having a little cheesy pizza for lunch with her weather!

No comments: