Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Disney Shopping

OK, I admit it - I'm a Disneyholic, and not just the parks. I like shopping at the stores (which are not even owned by Disney!) and online - until today, that is!! I have been eying a Sleeping Beauty costume for Em for about a week now, and yesterday, after seeing a little offer for 20% off, I took myself over to the site and found the costume, listed as being on sale for $22.99, just like it's been for a few days. I decided to "add to my cart" this item and went on over to try this 20% off, shipping, etc. to see what my total would be.

When I got to my cart, the item was listed as $24.99 instead of $22.99. I had a split screen so I could clearly see that numbers didn't match, so I used the "contact us" form at the bottom to see if they could let me know what that true price was. Of course, no one responded until today, and here's what they sent me:

Dear Disney Guest,

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused. We are
pleased to inform you that we have the price of the item as $24.99 we
don't show any where that has that price.

If you should have any further questions, please feel free to contact
us.

Sincerely,
DisneyShopping.com
Now, this annoyed me for many reasons. Mainly because upon checking this item again, I see that they changed the price!! They have also removed the special 20% off offer. But even worse, why would they be pleased to inform me of this grievous act of theirs?? So, I sent them this little note:

No, I'm not really pleased to know this as you HAD listed the price on the item as $22.99 and now you've changed it. I think that is poor customer service and I'm totally appalled that you did that! When you make a mistake and the customer asks you to correct it, you should admit the mistake was made instead of covering it up to make it look like your savvy customer is incorrect.

I have enjoyed Disney products and Disney shopping and this incident really makes me feel like I'm not at all a valued customer. Why? Because in reality, $2 is measly, but accusing a customer of lying is priceless. I think you just lost a trusted customer!
I guess Em will just have to Belle this year, because it doesn't look like I'll be shopping Disney for some time!! That is some terrible customer service - shame on Disney!

OK - off my soapbox, back to real life! lol - Oh, wait - retail swindling customers IS real life!

EDIT: So, Disney called me yesterday - YES, on a Sunday! Hmmm.... anyway.... they wanted to correct the email they sent me. Apparently, after receiving my email (and maybe reading my blog?) they found they there was ONE DAY that they offered that $22.99 deal, so I must have gone to a "cached" page where that was the price. When I explained to them that I actually accessed the Disney site via the little 20% off ad on the other Disney site, then checked once again from that link to the dress, they did not believe me. So, once again, the customer is incorrect.

They did, however, offer me that dress at $22.99, which makes no sense at all. Of course, that was just beyond this woman, who didn't understand that I had expected to get 20% off $22.99, but since that wasn't possible, why would I spend $22.99 now when I could have had 20% off $24.99 that day had they written me back in time. In other words, she might have been doing me a favor by offering me this item for $19.99, but couldn't understand why I wasn't interested in $22.99. I tried to nicely explain this to her THREE times, but finally gave up and just said, "No thank you!"

Is it just me, or are people getting, uh, dumber? I don't really know how else to say that without is sounding really nasty. It just seems like cashiers, retailers, now these online people, they just don't get it. I'm kind of at the point where I just want to tell them to stop trying to do me any favors, because that's not really what they are!

OK - settled down and going to move on from here.... I missed the deal and I'm the one who is wrong here, right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have snow white and cinderella if you need them!!

Anonymous said...

We have snow white and cinderella if you need them!!

deanna said...

Wow - that's awesome! Do I know you?? LOL

Anonymous said...

Target has some VERY beautiful princess dresses this year. I looked at them longingly as I was picking out M's leopard costume...
As a matter of fact, I will probably go back and get one. They're just too cute to pass up and she loves to play dress-up any way.

deanna said...

Thanks for the tip - I think I'm just going to make Em use another hand-me-down costume. For the three or four times they wear them, it shouldn't be in terrible shape, right?

Anonymous said...

Whoops, i see my comment was posted twice and anonymously. So yes, our snow white costume is brand new, only worn one time for about 20 minutes to show her grammy how much she loved it. Madi's going to be a witch this year, and Alena's going to be the makeshift sleeping beauty.