Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Exit Strategy

Do "most Christians" really want to stage a mass exodus from public schools?? I don't think so, and I hope not. I won't disagree that it's a little oppressive being a Christian in today's public schools. There is clearly a push to eradicate anything "christian" from public schools, but isn't Christ in our heart? Doesn't He go with us wherever we go? If you want Christ in public schools, send your Christian children to them, let them shine the light that is being extinguished by fear.

My point here is not to say homeschooling is wrong. I'm not even saying that you shouldn't send your children to private Christian schools. I'm just challenging those who do to really ask themselves why. If you think public school systems are fearing this withdrawal, think again. You might actually be provoking them to continue being anti-Christian. It sure saves them millions of dollars each year when another Christian child is not going to their school because it's evil. No skin off their backs. Unfortunately, for the few Christian children that are left in the public schools, it's a tough road. But I really believe in the end that it will build a lot of character in them. For now, that's why we've chosen to leave ours in a place where the light of Christ needs to be seen and I only hope that we can stand right with them along that journey.

EDIT: Funny I wrote this last night. Today I picked Kt up from Brownies and on the way home she said, "Mom, I quoted the fruits of the spirit today in school." I asked her why, and she replied, "My teacher was talking about obeying and I said you should obey so you can have the fruit of the spirit, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. My teacher said to me, 'Can you write that down for me?'" LOL.

No comments: