Saturday, September 23, 2006

Veggies in the Morning?

Imagine seeing VeggieTales on Saturday morning cartoons?? Wow, at least that's what I would initially think. Of course, I'm not up early enough on weekends to watch cartoons anymore. And my girls? They stick to Animal Planet. The truth is, I would have loved to see them when my kids were younger, but after reading this article I'm not so sure anymore.

Apparently, you will only be catching the Godless VeggieTales if you catch them on NBC morning cartoons. Vischer, the VeggieTales creator and signer of this deal, has had to remove all non-historic references to God from his creation. Hmmm.... Bob and Larry without God? Now who will be bigger than the boogie-man? Who will save Rack, Shack and Bennie from the fiery chocolate-melting furnace? Who made us special? I'm trying to envision this cartoon that my first child grew to love so dearly, who taught her many of her very important lessons at such an early age, without references to the One who made it all happen to begin with. I just can't see it.

I guess if it encourages people who might never have ventured into the land of talking Veggies to go out and purchase some Tales (who said this wasn't about money!!), then it might be worth it. Personally, I think it's a total sellout. I'm not advocating cartoons from every religion be shown on Saturday mornings, and I understand NBC having a restriction such as this. I find it difficult to believe that a deal was signed without any knowledge of NBC's policy - that is totally ridiculous!

Good luck, Bob and Larry, living out your wonderful adventures in your new Godless Veggieland. It just won't be the same without a Savior!!

No comments: