Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sunday Reflections

We are doing stuff today... who isn't?! Sometimes I use my Sunday's to synthesize things I've been processing all week, and today was one of those days. T and I decided on a whim today to spend this Sunday morning at the Warehouse, which is the building our church built for the middle and high schoolers. At first, I thought I'd happened upon a heavy metal concert! It was likely the most metal I've heard at a high school event since the late 80's when I was actually IN high school! It was interesting, but true worship.

A few things came to mind for me while I was there, in relation to other thoughts I've had this week. Where do these kids go from here? They have created an environment of worship that is authentic to them, meaningful to them, real to them and quite frankly, the worship in "big church" doesn't even come close to what these kids are doing right now. So, where do they go? How do they see the "real world" when they head off to college?

Which brings me to another thought. I actually found this article in the Washington Post about a priest at Catholic University (I had a post about something else going on there earlier - I'll find it and link it here) who spends the beginning of each year "blessing" each dorm room, finding lost souls and the rest of the year reaching out to those students. It's a great image and reminder of how difficult college ministry can be. It's a rich mission field, a college campus, but also very intimidating. It takes really special, chosen people to commandeer a college campus for Christ!!

Which brings me to another thought, about the girl who shared with us this past week about her plans to head to Melbourne, Australia to serve with Campus Crusade for Christ (in light of all the "crusader" references, isn't time for them to change the name of that??? - just a random thought!). I'm amazed by this girl, who grew up in a Catholic family, went to four years of school at University of Maryland, getting involved in CCC through our friends who started the CCC in Australia and are now able to send one of their own back to help. I wonder what her parents are thinking! How cool, and how totally scary! Pray for support for her, please!

I'll just conclude with the meat of the high school "service" today. An unfortunate event, the death of a sophomore's mother to breast cancer, changed the Sunday morning for high school today. They surrounded this sophomore group, prayed over them, had impromptu worship that was phenomenal, they cared for each other, reached out to others... There was an outpouring of community in that room, a physical representation of the love of Christ. That doesn't even happen in big church, so it was refreshing yet very humbling to be a part of. Death is never easy, always sad but can be ever hopeful.

It's a big job, reaching out to middle, high school students, college students... but it's not for everyone. Be prepared for high expectations, to have to be authentic and real, to be willing to spill your heart and soul, not holding back anything because these kids know and they will settle for no less than the real you. And that's about all they ask for, but it involves a real relationship with the person you are trying to bring them to, the One, the Only. In the years I have been involved with high schoolers, they have taught me mountains more than I've ever had the chance to teach them. God uses them to bless me, to teach me and to show me Himself. It's SUCH an honor to know them.

So where do they go? Well, a lot of them go back to the Warehouse, or to Fusion, which is really for them. But soon, they'll be married, have children and they won't settle for big church the way it is. Things will have to change... and I think change is good.

6 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

You asked the question, "Where do these kids go from here?" It's a good one. I'm so excited that Fusion has incorporated just-out-of-high-school students in their band and TJ has made such an effort to include them in that ministry.

One of the big points I always tried to drive home for my graduating seniors is that nothing will ever be like CpR, nothing could be. One huge part of growing up for them is learning to worship God in different settings and with different types of people and services.

I'm so excited for the grounding they receive at CpR. The numbers of teens I've seen go into leadership either here at Grace or off at college is amazing. God is at work!

Anonymous said...

If there isn't a priest handy, here's a do-it-yourself Catholic house blessing that's great for students to use in their new dorms or apartments.

deanna said...

Yup, Amy, you are right!! And Mark, that's a great idea for students - thanks for the link.

I have to say, as a Christian college alumni, I was surprised that a priest at a Catholic University has such a presence on campus. Our Dean of Chapel was rarely seen in dorms and didn't really make it a point to reach out to students who needed an extra nudge. I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

I loved that video clip of Father Bob!
I also find the discussion of 'big church' interesting. I am currently contemplating what setting I feel most comfortable in.

deanna said...

I'll have to go watch that - I didn't see it! Yeah - "big church" is what the kids have always called the church where the older folks go. Actually, most of our highschoolers go to big church early and then CPR. Interesting because the old folks typically only go to big church! Hmm.. I honestly don't know what setting I feel most comfortable in, but I do know that God prefers me to be a little uncomfortable!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, maybe 'comfortable' is not the word I was looking for. I'm thinking more about setting and sacraments/rituals...how each of us relates differently to the Divine. For example, I do like the congregational church we attend for the sermons, but I find the denomination lacking in sacraments and images of the Holy. Maybe it's the artist in me that connects through symbols and stained glass and images.