Friday, May 18, 2007

Wow Me!

Today was one more day that just convinced me I have to give up this Mother's Day Out job I've been doing all year. The girls didn't have school, they had nowhere to go so they came with me. Before T's new job, he always stayed home with them, but this was now my 4th Friday in 2 months where either we had a late open mess, 1/2 day, no school OR someone was sick. Crazy.

While it was kind of a drag, God used this day to teach me a couple things about my children - they are very adaptable! They Wow'd me today. Both of them were very excited to come to work with me, thankfully. Kt especially had put a lot of thought into what she wanted to do with the kids today, and I think she actually accomplished more than she had set out to do. As usual, it completely energized her. I, on the other hand, have been a lump on a log since I got home!

Em also did a great job today, but definitely more mixed in with my 3/4 year olds. She decided to take an extended lunch with the director, who was totally laughing at how much both my girls had my same mannerisms. I assured her that was a consequence of staying home with your children! That's my Em!

I taught for 5 1/2 years, but lately when it comes to creativity with children, I'm just not feeling it. It has really frightened me from jumping back into anything education related. I used to love coming up with fun lessons, planning art projects, leading children in creative writing pieces, and now? My mind is blank. Today only impressed upon me how I've lost my touch when my 9 year old daughter seemed to have more influence on my kids than I did. Not only that, she had 100 times the enthusiasm with them - maybe that is my problem!

Kt did the following: ran around the gym with 20 kids, with a huge smile on her face, organized them for craft time and helped each of them with each part of the craft, initiated completely made-up-on-the-spot games with the kids, included all the children - even the few who were very hesitant to play, located and used every resource available to her in that room, interacted with each child during lunch time with great interest, and ended her day with kids vying to sit on her lap for the video. Did I mention my daughter is 9? I was completely blown away by her today. I'm wondering if maybe all my teaching/child abilities exited my body and flowed straight into her when she was born!

Today made me very excited about this summer. All along I've been thinking about our trip to Hungary in terms of "what am I going to do about the girls?" and "where will we fit them into the team?" Now I'm wondering what God is going to show me in my girls, how else will they amaze me? Kt has a gift - well, she has many - but this one is big. I cannot wait for her to go this summer. Fortunately, Em is her faithful follower, who I'm sure will learn a lot. I will just stand in the background with my jaw on the floor!

No comments: