Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Blog Break!

Wow! Has it really been over a week since I have posted? OK, maybe not a whole week, but it sure feels like it. Sick kids do that to me. I spent 3 hours at the pediatrician last Wednesday, but only a very tiny, minute fraction of that time was spent in the presence of a doctor! How pathetic. I spent 1/6 of that time sorting out an insurance issue (the new insurance company put down our enrollment date as Kt's birthdate! She was so excited, not because she was only 6 weeks old, but because that date happened to be her best friend's birthday so now they are "twins"!), 1/6 of that time with an actual medical professional and the rest of that time waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

Fortunately, nothing life threatening, but it brought back memories from last May when 3/4 of our household were on antibiotics. Repeat! Kt had asthma, fever and then a return visit on Saturday resulted in another strep throat diagnosis. Em had a double ear infection - again! T was on antibiotics for an infected (and removed) tooth. That leaves me, who spent a week with a house full of sickos! I listened to them all complain about their meds, runny noses, aches and pains. For once, it was nice to be the healthy one!!

I did manage to get myself into a fitness routine despite everyone's ailments. I have been participating in a water aerobics class 2-3 times a week and love it. Unfortunately, the amazing instructor (who does a full aerobic work out, just in water! None of this arthritis joint stuff - just real aerobics!) is leaving May 15, so I've been dropping everything to participate in her classes before someone else takes over. I hope they are just as good.

My neighbor convinced me to try a cycling class, which I took with this same instructor. I believe cycling is a cross between ultimate self-torture and suicide. Really, I can sit on my sofa. Anything else right now feels like I'm sitting on a bed of nails - pointy side up! On top of that, (pun intended), I felt like my legs had been reduced to jell-O for the remainder of yesterday. Today they just feel like two lead pillars! The sad part? I didn't even barely make it through the whole class!! (I'm just so embarrassed to admit it!) I performed pathetically. If she said "hill" I saw "red light"! When she said "recovery" I thought "lunacy!". Will I go back? I don't know about that. Apparently, other instructors aren't so forgiving. Mine told me if they were climbing a mountain, it was OK if I was wandering aimlessly through the countryside. Luckily, my break on the park bench was met with a smile!

So, here I am, back in the blogosphere until the next round of sniffles, sore throats and cavities. Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week - help me now, before I am completely submerged and breathless in a sea of obligation! I'm so glad I love the girl's teachers this year - makes next week something to look forward to!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Good job with the exercising, D. If you hate cycling, though, maybe try something else. I find it helps keep me motivated when I exercise in ways that interest me--walks outside, yoga, etc. I have never liked the gym scene, but for other people it works great.

Anonymous said...

Was it a spinning class? Those are torture in the beginning but I have found that NOTHING burns more calories. Get some padded bike shorts and it'll help a lot.

My favorite part of spinning class was at the end, it felt like someone had gone inside my lungs and cleaned them out with a scrub brush.