Monday, May 07, 2007

What Can Go Wrong?

With a tight schedule, it works best for me if everything goes according to plan. That pretty much never happens! While I did make it to my water aerobics class (that I love!), the rest of my day went according to some haphazzard unintentional mess. My student sent me a text while I was serving up ice cream floats for the first day of teacher appreciation week... to Buddy Holly! When I finally got around to checking it, it said, "We don't need to meet today because I didn't go to school." I've spent a better part of this year instilling in this student the need to be responsible, keep his commitments, practice some common courtesy! I can see it's sinking in.... at least the part about "common courtesy" - I mean giving me 30 minutes notice when you're supposedly home all day is a great improvement over just not showing up!

Anyway, the next hour and a half of my day was spent dissecting the life of a repeating senior. Email is the greatest thing since sliced bread - for real! The truth? He went to school until third period, where he found out his notebook is due tomorrow. Not bothering to take home the list of assignments needed for a complete notebook (several of which he is missing), he took of early, which in his book means he did not attend school at all I guess. That means science, math and most of US History don't count. He only had one more class! Unfortunately, the other myth I've been chasing all year with this particular student is the one that if you aren't there for it, you don't have to do it!! I guess he was hoping to slip out before the notebook checkup was actually "announced"?? Luckily, the internet has provided a way of escape for his tutor and teacher, who kindly posted everything publicly online, so now everyone has access to it! Not that it will get done, but there is no excuse now!

Probably the best part was when my student texted me (after ignoring my call and text for an hour!) to let me know we could meet tomorrow. At least I know he doesn't read my blog!! I had to let him in on my little secret - I actually have a life outside tutoring him! I know, it's crazy and I'm a wild woman, but I have responsibilities and I take them seriously, which is part of the reason I have such high blood pressure. Doesn't that sound like something one might want to aspire to?

Anyway... I left that mess and ran over to Target, the arch nemesis of my purse, and did a little more shopping for Teacher Appreciation. I had to make a side trip to Staples because Target didn't have what I was looking for, just lots of other things I had no idea I needed until I saw them! Since Dick's Sporting Goods was right next store to Staples, I meandered in there to look for aqua shoes - my feet need a little break from all that water aerobics! No luck....

I'm now home, should be getting ready for a large Bible study group coming over tonight. It's going to be tight! Kt's piano teacher just arrived - glad I remembered that! Em is playing with the Little People I asked her to clean up, nothing new there! Dinner? Oh yeah... we have to eat, and I never even made it to the grocery store. Just something to add to my list for tomorrow.

Finally, my neighbor/co roommom called me to say that the teacher we have spent a couple weeks planning a bridal shower for, who I've spent hours and lots of $$ on, for this Friday!!! will not be in school that day. Hmmm... I mean, starting a week off like this, I always wonder, "What can possibly go wrong?" Well, just everything!

No comments: