Monday, July 31, 2006

Daily Diary

OK - today we did what we love to do: shopping and beach! We took the girls to Kohl's and Target, bought them wayyyy too much and then came home for a bit before heading to the beach. It's hard for me to pass up a bargain, but even harder when my girls are with me. I'm teaching them nothing!! I have to work on that!

The beach was fun. We went in the evening, had dinner and then, because it was high tide, the girls actually swam in the water. We like to go at low tide, when finding hermit crabs and digging in the mud serve as great babysitters. Today, though, my two fish actually swam around in the calm waters of the Long Island Sound. I think they loved it! They even got a bit brave and both swam under the salty water. Em insists that she swallowed about three mouths full - LOL.

As my mom and I sat on the shore watching (so strange not to have to go in with my little kids anymore!), we reminisced about going to the beach with my dad. He LOVED swimming with us. We would always beg him to come in, and he usually would. He preferred the lake near our house to the salt water, but would just swim around with us, let us jump off him shoulders, would play Marco Polo, pretend to be a shark and he taught us all how to "splash" correctly with a direct hit! Because he had a trick knee, swimming was about the only physical activity that my dad would engage us in, so we savored every moment of our time in the water with him.

It was truly a fun day, and I missed my dad. Tomorrow morning we are heading back to the beach before the real heat settles in. The high should get close to 100 degrees, so leaving to come home shouldn't be much of a problem!! although we are going for some low tide! The rest of our day is up in the air - just not sure what's in store, but I do know it will involve some kind of air conditioned place!!

No comments: