Wednesday, July 26, 2006

And they're off!

Well, they are gone! All twelve of them and some of the parents. Now one of the crucial parts of this trip - actually getting on their flight. Last year, the team departed from here much like today, got to the airport 2 hours early and found a swarm of angry passengers, all of whom were bumped off the flight because it was grossly overbooked. The Brazil team had to wait 24 hours for another flight out, they each received $800 in United vouchers and were put up at the Hilton for the night. It was crazy, and the memory of that sort of haunts T. I'm praying they all make it on this flight, mostly due to the fact that there are not regular flights from Paris into Yaounde, so missing this flight to Paris might mean a huge delay.

Our home was the picture of chaos beginning around 12:30, when the first student arrived 30 minutes early! Her father, a marine, has informed the marine attache in Cameroon that his very precious cargo will be arriving shortly. Should the team need anything, they can be assisted immediately and this student's father? Well, he would be there within 24 hours. Somewhat of an asset to bring along someone like this on an international missions trip!

Everyone else started trickling in just after her. I had my little copy center set up in my dining room. We brought down our printer and I had organized everyone's passports with post its on them with what I needed from them. Once I collected everything I got to work copying, folding, putting all these papers into these little files for all the leaders. I didn't mind having something to do, and I could tell some of the parents wished they had something to do as well!!

The kids were repacking the duffel bags with new items they brought, labeling bags with contents, names, addresses.... It was a lot of stuff, a lot of bags, but as I explained to T, the best way to get items to these missionaries is through people. If we have twelve people going, you should bring at least twenty-four bags! How else would all these items get there?? I, for one, would be waiting with bated breath for my chocolate chips! And I am NOT kidding you one little bit!!!

So, we were finally organized, packed, copied, prayed over and off they went. Kt was outside waiting looking quite forlorn. At least this year we had no little kids on the curb crying. Almost, but not quite. I will miss T very much, but I am so excited for this opportunity. I really feel like the Lord has something great in store for them all. If I didn't feel this way, I doubt T would have stepped foot out that door, but we sent him off with some notes, hugs and kisses.

Next Monday is our 12th wedding anniversary. When we got married in the summertime, it was only for convenience sake. I was teacher and mid summer worked for me. I had 6 weeks to get ready and 4 weeks to enjoy, so it was perfect. I had no idea that summer missions would take over any hope of a fun wedding anniversary trip or anything. We've come to not take that occasion so seriously, as we've been apart for more of them than we've been together. I'll be in CT for this one so I'll have to find some way to celebrate with my girls and my mom. I can assure everyone we won't have any problem at all finding some fun way to celebrate!!

Now back to my new role of single mom....

EDIT: T just sent me a text. They are checked in and have seats together to Paris! YEAH!

1 comment:

deanna said...

Yup - you're right! Can you tell I was up way past my bedtime last night, which is already late! And all day, a terrible headache... Sunday it is, and I'll be driving! But we'll celebrate on Monday, because I won't be in any mood for that after driving with two girls and a dog all day!!!

My birthday typically falls on Presidents Day weekend - which T typically works on.... that's even worse than a retreat in my opinion! But I understand her grief!