Saturday, July 29, 2006

Weird Blog Moment

Thursday, I posted T email update that was sent out to all the parents. That was the only email we'd all gotten and it was sent from the missionary's email address, so I had assumed that he did not have access for whatever reason to his email. I then noticed later that his update was posted on his blog. I thought he had not accessed his email, but somehow had managed to post on his blog. I was still completely clueless.

About a half hour later, one of the parents responded to that email using the "Reply to All" button, so I read her reply. Then I read it again on bloglines! as it had posted to T's blog as well. That evening I was really surprised, if somewhat acting a little like my hair color!, while wondering why T would take the time to post that email, yet still not bother to send me a more detailed email about what was going on in Africa. The nerve!!

Finally, after the next morning, I realized what was going on. It started with another "Reply to All" email that was sent out by another set of parents who were going to be out of town. They sent all kinds of personal information - such as where they would be, their phone numbers, including cell phones and their names, of course! It wasn't until THAT email ended up on Ts blog that I realized there was some kind of generated posting thing going on there! I had no idea you could even do that, but that's me, the novice blogger who would never need to post to my blog from an email anyway - that would just be dangerous!

Truthfully, I didn't know quite what to do. I couldn't leave all this personal information on his blog, not to mention everyone's email addresses from the post before it. That's right - I failed to notice that the previous day in my perplexed and miffed mode. Fortunately, T left me some "T's Online Persona" information, and I was able to go into his blog and delete those posts, of course, not before anyone and everyone who has him on their bloglines read them! I was also still left with the issue of how those posts were being "sent" to his blog in the first place.

At this point, I decided I needed to let the parent's know what was going on. The only complete email list for the parents that I had was the one that T used to send out that first email, so I copied it and pasted it into an email that I called "safe line" and explained what happened and how to not "reply to all" when T sends out and email, but to use my "safe" one! Well, the joke was on me as I realized AFTER I sent it that it was an email address, right there in that wonderful list that I had just used, that was sending posts to his blog. UGH!!!

I sent out my last embarrassing email to everyone with my realization and our completely safe email list - to which I added T and the missionaries - so that they would all know how I spent my Friday morning!! When you sign up to do missions stuff, no one ever warns you about situations like this. I can't call him, he's not checking his email or reading the ones I'm sending him, but he's creating a nightmare! But is oblivious to the entire situation.

I guess it's better that way, and it's a good thing he left me here with his "persona". Now, how can I get him back!!??? LOL!

3 comments:

doubleknot said...

You know a lot more about emails and blogs then I do - I have been doing this over a year now and there is so much more to learn. Glad you were able to sort out the problem. How nice of you to remove the private information.

deanna said...

I guess I'm just learning! I don't really know how to do what he did - but I can see how he did it. As for the private information, it's the kind of stuff no one should ever put in a blog!! There is no way of knowing how many actually saw it, so I'm a little concerned, but I'm going to trust nothing will come of it... at least I'm hoping!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Getting back at him, let me think about that one. LOL