Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Resources" Teacher

That is my new title at my new job. I tried to tell the badge maker it was "Resource" teacher, but he insisted, so it's resources. I'm basically a 1st and 2nd grade remedial reading teacher, but I didn't want him to try to put that on my ID card!

I'm excited about this job because in actuality, I'm not especially trained to do this job. That's one of the perks of working in a private school. When someone thinks your a great teacher and they have a job that they are sure you can do, they hire you. I have this opportunity to work with two highly qualified special education teachers. My direct supervisor basically has two masters degrees, and when we "chat" about the job, I take notes!! I have learned more in the past two weeks than I have in the past ten years. I'm convinced of that.

The past three days I have been observing potential students for my groups and it's fun to be back in a classroom. It has been a very empowering experience so far, since coming into it I felt like a total dinosaur. I'm now wishing I was there to help the teachers, because I have this terrible habit of thinking of 10 betters ways they could do something. So arrogant of me! But really... it's just the way I think. Bad, I know. In many, many ways I wish someone had done that for me when I was starting out as a new teacher.

One of the greatest benefits for me, I believe, will be understanding my own second grader and her oral and written language development. I know there's something I'm missing there, so maybe throughout this year I'll have a better understanding of how to evaluate that. Hopefully, we'll make some leeway this year for her!

OK - I have to go print out that reward chart for my girls... it's a start!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh....a reward chart. I'm intrigued. What is this for?

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a cool job. Glad you are loving it!