Monday, June 26, 2006

Wonderfully Wet Weekend!

Well, it's been a while since I posted. Sorry for the little blog lull. Last week was super busy with get togethers, travel and the Mission Advance week at the beach where I planned and executed (with thankfully some help!) the food for all 50 participants. What an experience.

The girls are at my mom's, who graciously accepted them as her guests, even though Thursday was her last day of school! They are both there right now and I am supposed to be getting ready for our L.A. departure this Saturday. Instead, I'm blogging! Oops!

After driving them up to CT last week and helping my mom move her classroom (for the third year in a row!), I came back here late Thursday, packed the van for a Friday departure to Cape Henlopen with a van full of food and kitchen supplies and three teenage girls.

Highlights of my weekend - having God send me the perfect food helpers - thanks Michelle!!!, having the kids actually like the food for the most part - no one starved, watching the kids worship, seeing the teams click and watching T do what he does best and love it. It was exhausting, stressful, crazy and fun all at the same time.

Downlights of our weekend - the walk to the bathhouse in the middle of the night in my pajamas when I was sick, the second trip to the bathhouse in my pajamas in the middle of the night in the rain - sent T to get his truck for that one! and the ride home, when we waited over an hour to go 4 miles so we could take turns driving through 3 feet of water... More on that flooding here. Of course, it was me, the adult, who could no longer wait to go to the bathroom.... I won't tell you what I did, but it was slightly embarrassing as we had two cars, six teens and me and T. My only consolation - all the other people in front of us who couldn't wait. The woods, side of the road and various buildings got a lot of use that day!! Incidentally, we were in the last group of cars allowed to pass through that water. Had we waited any longer at the beach or even had the nice weather T had planned for, it might have taken us more than 5 hours to get home!!

I am really tired right now and fortunately have an empty house to organize for our trip. I'm not sure if I'm heading up to CT this week or not, so I need to get to work. It's a nice, quiet day to reflect on what just happened and what stands out in my mind right now is Saturday night worship....

If you have never watched a group of middle and high school kids with their dedicated missions trip leaders worship together you are just not ready for heaven. It was honestly the most moving thing I've seen this year. These kids give all their hearts in worship, they support each other in prayer, they know how to make a joyful noise, and God is so much a part of who they are. It was so refreshing to watch and participate in. If you have kids like this in your area, find them and learn from them - you won't be disappointed!!

Now, for a little R&R for our family - we're getting ready for our California Adventure. I'm going to make T take a break from life for this one, so you might not see him for a while. He totally deserves it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great time with Mickey!

deanna said...

Thanks! Wish you were going to be there, too!!