Monday, June 05, 2006

Room Mother Mania

I'm not quite this busy, but I was rolling on the floor laughing at the this article on the last couple weeks of room mother craziness. Pretty much this whole week is tied up in room mother related and end of the school year related activities. Why I added preschool camp to the mix is beyond me!! Unfortunately, for me, I only have 2/5 of Kt's class contributing to a gift. It's been a not so great year I guess, which only adds to the stress. Then the last minute teacher request of, "Can you sent in 50 cups/napkins and 100 cookies?" by today.... the list goes on and on and on. I still have to get gifts for: 2 other teachers, Em's preschool teacher, the bus driver who I "won" earlier in the year... So, when people ask me if I'm "ready" for school to be out, they should be surprised at my overwhelming "YES!!!" answer. I love having my girls home, going to the pool, going on vacation and having the freedom to just pack up and go. Not to mention - no more field trips, no more school lunches to pack, and no more getting up and getting everyone ready. For a little while anyway!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend Debbie and her family are going to be in the area for a day...DC one night and wondered where a good place to stay was. I told her you may have some ideas. They have 3 young kids, so something family friendly.

deanna said...

LOL - I thought you were going to say that your friend is a room mother!! Here's what Tony says - he grew up here:

i think bethesda might be a great place - close to metro, there is the mall there and lots of places to eat that are very close and many of them are kid friendly, safe to go out at night, vibrant neighborhood

oldtown alexandria might be nice too - same idea, lots of shops and restaurants, probably pretty safe, although i've never really been there

inside the city, i'm thinking that L'enfant plaza where we stayed was nice, although might not be that kid friendly, esp since the Mall closes down at night after the museums close

Now, I stayed in Crystal City when I came with my Jr. High class - was nice and close to the city. I guess I'd stay away from NorthEast DC and PG county, although not all places are bad there. Hope that helps!!

Why is she coming?

Anonymous said...

Hi. This is Debbie. :-) Thanks for the info on hotels. I booked at a Holiday Inn Express right across from Andrews AFB. It's further out than I really wanted, but it was available at the right price.

I WAS a room mother last year when my daughter was in first grade, but now we homeschool so I don't have to do that anymore. :-)

deanna said...

Hmmm... well, that is an area I would avoid walking around! I'm sure if you are driving there and can drive to places to eat, etc. it will be fine for a night. Can you get on base?

We avoid PG County because we can. I'm not sure about Metro from there. Just be prepared for that area.

On the other hand, we just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and it was VERY nice!

Have a nice visit!!
deanna

Anonymous said...

They said the Metro station is five miles away so we'll probably be driving into dc.

I doubt we can get on base b/c we have no connections there, but I know my son will love the planes...:-)

We'll be driving to DC from Newport News VA on Monday the 12th...and returning to Newport News on the 13th. (It's a quick trip.)

Thanks for the info.
Debbie