Thursday, June 15, 2006

What Would You Do??

I had to strangest thing happen to me today. I arrived early to pick up Em at her camp today and ran into a parent who has her youngest child in Em's class and her middle daughter was in preschool with Kt. I asked her if her older daughter was finishing up second grade as Kt did today. She replied with this long story about her daughter is soooo smart that she skipped a grade. She apparently tested out of math and reading and they keep sending her ahead because she's just brilliant. Today, she supposedly finished fourth grade!!

Now, my wheels were turning at this point. We specifically held Kt back because we felt socially and emotionally she needed to be with kids more her age. At the time, the cut off birthdate was still December 31 and her birthday was December 31. Having been a first grade teacher, I knew firsthand how older young children (K-1st grade) can be very advanced academically and sometimes even socially, but when they later get to second or third grade, things begin to catch up with them, and in high school, they have friends who are all driving, allowed to date, etc. We just wanted her to be the older crowd, not the younger, and in our county she has benefited from advanced classes within her grade, so we weren't holding her back academically at all.

I wondered, when this mom was telling me how amazingly smart her little girl was, would I want my 7/8 year old with fourth graders?? Would I want my 9 year old heading off to middle school??? It struck me as odd, but I didn't ask any of these questions. I just let it slide and mentioned how Kt was just finishing up second grade. She then went on to tell me that her youngest, in Em's class, was also brilliant, that she would checking into getting her into a K-1st grade combination class because she already knows all her multiplication facts!! I'm thankful I didn't have to scrape my jaw off the floor in front of her!! I'm lucky if I can get Em to count to 20 for me, forget about multiplication!! Wow - I didn't know whether to be impressed or completely confused. I mean, I've never heard of a "combination class" outside of private schools around here, certainly not in our county public schools.

So, the story get worse from here. Later today I took the girls to the pool where I saw another mom from Kt's preschool. She and I see each other at Curves occasionally, so we keep in touch a bit. I also knew that her daughter and the girl from above go to the same elementary school. Of course, more out of marvel than anything else, I asked this mom if she remembered this girl. She did, and then mentioned to me that she was in her daughter's second grade class this year. I must have turned white because she gave a funny look and asked why? I'm not really sure what I said at that point, but I told her what had just happened and she said she was not surprised, that this mom lives in a "grandiose world." I was thinking more like a hallucinogenic world! I never even suspected that she was not being honest with me!!

I must say, I've never had such a strange thing happen to me as a mother flat out lying to my face about how amazing their child is. Why would anyone do that? This woman did not miss a beat when she was talking to me, she never flinched, totally matter-of-fact with me. And today, on her daughter's last day of second grade. I am thinking there might be some kind of mental illness. Of course, we were the only two parents there until my other friend arrived. I can't remember how much of the conversation she overheard. But I guess this mom could always claim that she never said it.

Which brings me to my dilemma. Tomorrow is Em's last day at camp. It culminates with a family picnic, to which all the siblings are invited. I'm wondering if this woman will bring her second grade daughter who just finished "fourth grade" and knows Kt. What do I say? or do? How do I even act knowing what I now know?? Or do I just avoid her altogether? I have no interest in "exposing" anyone or even embarrassing her or her daughter, so I'm guessing I'll likely just avoid her altogether, but that just seems so unsocial. What would you do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ask the daughter if she is excited to start 5th grade!!!! HA!! I'd honestly just avoid her, but if you see her and it comes up, there's always the, "I think I misunderstood..."

Good Luck with that one!

Anonymous said...

play dumb... ;)

seriously...who would lie like that, especially when you know the kid!?!?!?!?

deanna said...

Yup, and yup. I have no idea why??!! Just really strange, or I'm just really naive!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I would just act normally to her when she's in your face, but I wouldn't make an extra effort to go up and chat with her if she really did elaborate on her childs story.

Also have you considered that maybe the other mother that you were talking with might have been talking about another child...things like that do happen and this woman's child might just be in 4th grade after all....That happened to me once: two of us were talking, but as it turned out...not about the same child.

deanna said...

I wish that were the case. Unfortunately, she only has three children - the oldest in high school, her middle, whose name I know and the one she referred to and her youngest, who we were both waiting for as my youngest is in her class. I did ask my friend about that, and sadly there is no mistaking who she was talking about. What's even more sad to me is the fact that my friend was not one bit surprised about this woman's story - which I cannot believe. Apparently, she and her daughter both tell others these kinds of stories all the time. As far as I know, though, I'll never have to deal with her again! I'd like to think this kind of thing is extremely rare, so that is what I'll think!:-)