Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Clemens Clubhouse

I'm going to a building improvement meeting tonight for the girls' school renovations beginning this summer. I was explaining to Em why I'm not going to be at GGA when Kt gets dropped off tonight. Here's the convo:

Em: Is there GGA tonight?

Me: Yes, but I'm not going to be there when daddy drops you off. I'm going to a meeting about all the building they will do at your school this summer.

Em: WHAT? What are they doing?

Me: I don't know, but I'm going to find out tonight. They are going to be making things better, though.

Em: You know what I think they should do?

Me: (Curiously!) What do you think would make it better?

Em: They should make a password! (she said this while raising her eyebrows in her ever so clever way.)

Me: Really? Like a password to get into the school?

Em: Yeah... and then they should add doors onto all the rooms and make lots of passwords for people to get in!!



OK, so she envisions a labyrinth of secret passageways, which obviously will create a safer environment for those lockdowns, much like the one they had today! (Shooting in the area!) I like the door idea. The password is a bit much, but unfortunately, times are achangin'!

Currently, the girls' elementary school is divided into "pods", which I happen to think are really distracting, not secure and not very conducive to teaching. They have made it work remarkably... by adding a wall a year! =) This renovation will hopefully fix the open classroom environment, allowing for lockdowns that actually might work. I mean, why bother having kids congregate together in a room with no door? should some psycho storm the building??

So, off I go to this meeting, where I will also find out if Kt will be subjected to her last year of elementary school in a portable!!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I really hate that school incidents are even a possibility. What are you supposed to tell a child when she asks you what can happen? It makes me want to scream. Children should be able to feel secure at school!