Friday, December 15, 2006

Surprise!

T and I just received a really nice (and I mean REALLY NICE!) surprise gift today. Attached to the gift was a really nice (and I mean EVEN NICER THAN THE GIFT!) note. Gifts really speak to me, not because I love to get things, but I like being acknowledged for things. For me, the consummate people pleaser, it's the approval of someone that I appreciate. This person could have give me a package of OREOs and that note and I would have been just as appreciative. The fact that they gave us something really nice (it was awesome!) makes me feel a little embarrassed. But I'll get over it!;-)

So, since it's the season for giving, remember this: a gift can go a long way when accompanied by the right words!! A really good gift, well it still needs the right words.

We spend a lot of time at Christmas trying to come up with fun, good, useful gifts, but how often do we think to add something from our hearts to them? I don't want to get caught up in just giving a great gift. I want to give something that says "I know you!" and then I want to add a little something on top - a note, a video clip, an old picture - you know, something embarrassing, so that person will know that this gift was heartfelt.

This great gift today, we'll use it up, it will be gone, but we'll keep the card, because it reminds us that something we do is important to others. Something we do matters, is recognized and appreciated. We've always felt that way, but it's nice to hear it from someone else. Truth be told, I'd happily received 10 more cards like that in place of the great gift - but we'll take the gift, too, because we're so, well, you know, (do I have to say it??) - um, selfish, in a nice sort of way! (LOL - there's no nice way to be selfish! but I like to pretend!!)

Have a happy heartfelt gift-giving season!!

No comments: