Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tag Ban?

I cannot believe a school would ban tag, let alone dodgeball! I'm not even sure what to say about it. It's not like kids HAVE to play tag outside or dodgeball. They've eliminated tag because it's too dangerous... like swinging on monkey bars, jumping rope or playing hopscotch involve no danger whatsover? What will it be next?

Here's the real clincher: dodgeball was eliminated because it was "exclusionary". I guess kids these days should never have to feel like they are "out," instead they can only have games where everyone wins and no one loses. Because really, that's how real life is, correct?

Personally, as a kid at recess I pretty much tried everything. I played kickball, I played on the monkey bars, we did double dutch jumprope, 4 square, tag and hopscotch. I don't ever remember being traumatized by being excluded from a game. In fact, since my parents never signed me up for any competitive sports the ones I played at recess were my only experience with winning and losing games. It was great for me, and it taught me that some kids are better at some things than I was, but that there were other things, like academics, that I was better at. I learned that you can't always be the winner and sometimes, you're the biggest loser. I also learned that accidents happen, and our parents understood this as well. An accident is an accident, and when something is deliberate, then you eliminate the problem, not the entire game!

The more we eliminate from school, the less we will gain. No more birthdays, no more parties, no more tag or dodgeball.... Before you know it, there will be no more art - it's too creative, no more music - bad for their hearing, no more P.E. - too many lawsuits and losers, no more computer lab - bad for their vision, no more math - some kids feel bad when they can't do it, no more reading - it gives kids too many bad ideas and no more teachers - they use too much red ink. You think I'm being silly? Well, who ever thought tag would be banned?

No comments: