Friday, October 27, 2006

Bill O'Reilly on Oprah

I'm watching Bill O'Reilly on Oprah - I never watch Oprah. I used to watch her years ago, when her stories were much more light hearted. Nowadays, I haven't liked her show much. It's not something I want my children watching so she's out! But today, I just couldn't resist.

T came down and was watching a bit with me. I've never read any of O'Reilly's books. I stopped watching his show because he's a little rude to his guests. I agree with a lot of what he says, not all of it, but a lot of it. We were impressed with how well-spoken and well read he is. It's no wonder he's so popular and can easily insight left wingers. Talk about a formidable opponent!!

After some reflection: I guess a day of thought is always good! Not to mention an evening of reading other blogs about this show - he he. Someone suggested plants in the audience - I hadn't thought about that, but I could see that possibility. Another thought - I guess if Oprah wants to increase her number of male audience members exponentially, she ought to have Bill on more often!

After all the bickering about SP's and T-fighters (?) was said and done, all the debate about Iraq, the ACLU and gay marriage were done, the bottom line seemed to be this: In America today, there is a lack of understanding of our world. We are filled with misinformation from media and have formed disconnected views on various issues that are inconsistent with what we really and truly believe in our hearts. For as long as we form judgements based on what we are fed instead of the facts, we are putting our country on the verge of mental breakdown! OK - that's the dramatic version...

I've never read any of Mr. O'Reilly's books, but this one, The Culture War, sounds like his most interesting one to date. I might actually have a go at this one. Whether someone is a traditionalist or secular progressive, I think this book might be worth the read, because the point is that unless we learn to get along, nothing will be accomplished in this country. We can sit around an argue about rights and freedoms until we are blue in the face, but what will that do if we can't find a solution? I believe that it is good to debate these issues, but both sides need to listen. I'm pretty sure Bill O'Reilly isn't ready to listen to his opposing side, unless they are well-read, informed of the facts and not media driven. And he's got a point there!

If Oprah airs another segment on Bill O'Reilly, I'd watch it again. It was intriguing and was filled with food for thought. Most of the audience contributers were well-spoken and made for some great debate. I hope she actually invites them back as well!

No comments: