Monday, October 09, 2006

Playtime!

It's been a while since I blogged. I was going to do something like "A Week in the Life of a 'Stay-at-home Mom'" last week, but I was way too tired! I was so busy last week that I barely had time to breath. This week seems like it's starting out to be completely opposite.

Here is a short list of what I've been up to: tutoring 3x a week, Bible Study - Beth Moore's The Patriarchs, party room mom, Daisy troop leader - if that ever gets off the ground, 4th/5th grade administrative assistant at church - copy, cut and distribute supplies for 240 students each Sunday, and teaching a 3's class for a Mother's Day Out program. On top of that, I have to remember piano lessons on Monday, Brownies every other Wednesday and gymnastics on Thursday. T and I have Bible study small group every other Monday night. It's a lot, but seriously, other people do WAY more than I do, and I just don't see how they manage it all. What if I had more kids?

I came across this wonderful, short article about how unstructured playtime is so valuable to kids and they need more of it. I totally believe this, and while the weather is still nice, I love sending my kids out to play after school. My own kids don't get home until 4 PM, so an hour or two before dinner I think should really be unstructured. I think recess while in school is extremely important, which is why I'm not embarrassed to complain about our school's very shabby and undersized playground. The inner-city school with no library that I student taught in had a playground three times the size of our school's!! It's just unbelievable to me!

Well, enough! I'm off to Curves, then grocery shopping, then cleaning my house because Bible study is here tonight, then tutoring if my student doesn't cancel on me again. For some reason, he's too tired on Mondays to meet, or was it he was too "soar" - yeah, that was the text message I received. On a Monday, when he had three regular classes and a P.E. class. How do you teach an 18 year old that school isn't supposed to be easy and you really have to put some effort into it, even when you are only taking 1/2 a load of classes??? Reminds self - never let my kids go for the easy way out, it's just not worth it! It leads to very bad habits that are nearly impossible to break.

No comments: