Friday, June 15, 2007

Guacamole

I was accosted today while shopping for veggies and dip for my daughter's campout. While browsing in the dip section, a man walked up and was muttering under his breath, "Avacado, avacado, avacado...." He picked up the Guacamole and said, "Guacamole?" like it was some kind of strange rodent, then put it back down. He then turned to me and said, "Do you see any avacado dip?" I said, "Sure, that's guacamole, see the picture of the avacados right on the package? In fact, I just made some last night, and I know it's made from avacados." He replied, "Ah, ok, I guess this is what I'm looking for, then."

I found what I wanted and wandered to the other end of the produce section when I hear this same guy yelling to me, "See, see, this is what I'm talking about!! These people in this country need to speak English. Why do I have to learn things like guacamole. It's time to get these nationalities right" etc, etc, etc. At this point, I'm sort of half listening, half looking for a way of escape. I just nodded to this man and said, "Hmmm, I see...." wondering what the hispanic woman standing next to us is wondering about this old man, rambling on to me about guacamole.

I understand, this immigration issue is big here, but I honestly can't help but think that the world is big enough for all of us. If anything, the issue being raised is bringing out the worst in everyone, the ethnocentric "American" who wants the world to leave us alone so we can live in peace and harmony by ourselves. The fact is, if we want to be recognized as a peaceful and harmonious nation, we can't continue to shut everyone out because they speak a different language, wear different clothes or prefer food that they are accustomed to. We need to remember that this country, America, was founded to be a safe haven, a new world and to welcome those who are oppressed or downtrodden, looking for freedom not offered in other countries of the world.

Do I agree with the immigration bill? I wouldn't go that far, but I will say that I'm not completely against it all, either. I think we have a problem with our borders, I think we have a problem with people working here illegally and I believe we need to find a workable solution. I guess I'm an oddball who appreciates that our country is a diverse place, where we can teach our children about other cultures and have examples of them at our fingertips.

So, I wonder what that man would have thought if he had know my husband were Chinese? Or that T's parents were immigrants from China? Would he have chased me down, a little, blonde white woman had he known my little secret?? I wonder... does he enjoy Chinese food? or Thai food? Does he vacation in the Caribbean? or maybe Europe? Or does he just stay around here, eating hot dogs and hamburgers in Ocean City? Who knows, but he probably belongs to this group of "conservative bloggers" who got him all riled up about this issue. Anyway, I hope he enjoys his guacamole! and tortilla chips!!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Unbelievable. Why do these people always find you?!

I find it both annoying and somewhat amusing when people talk about 'foreigners...'

Are we not all foreigners, at one point or another, in our lives?

deanna said...

It's that little sign I wear that says, "Harass me, please!"