Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Original Game of Telephone

This post is dedicated to my cousin, Steve.;-)

Today I went to do my talk on China, because I'm Chinese and all! LOL Because food items are absolutely forbidden in Em's class, I decided to take in Chopsticks for each of the students. Having recalled a conversation between my aunt, my mother and my husband, I gave my aunt and uncle a call concerning what I remembered to be an overabundance of chopsticks at their house. Here is how the calls went.

First Call to my Uncle:

Me: Hi there. Nanny mentioned that you all had some leftover chopsticks from a JOY or Red Hat dinner, and I was wondering if I might have some for my talk on China.

Uncle: Uh, I don't know about that.

Me: You don't have a bunch of chopsticks?

Uncle: Not that I know of, but I'll have to ask nanny about that. I'll tell her and have her call you about them, OK?

Me: OK

INTERMISSION: I wonder to myself, did I really hear what I thought I heard at that dinner? Didn't my aunt mention that she had plenty of chopsticks for T any time he needed them?? Or was that just my imagination???

Second phone call - even stranger than the first:

My aunt: Hi!

Me: OK, am I totally crazy? Didn't you tell my mom and T that you had about 60 leftover chopsticks from a JOY dinner?

My aunt: Well, I don't remember that, but I did search around the house and I've found 8. I DO have a box of lotions that Diane gave me. You could come look through those.

Me (thinking to myself - are they made in China or something?): Oh, well, that's interesting. I don't think I can take those in for the kids. I wonder if I'm remembering a conversation between T and my mother? Maybe she's the one with all the chopsticks?

My aunt: Maybe. I don't remember saying I had that many. And some of the ones I've found have already been used.

Me:(EWWW) Well, I can't give THOSE to the kids!! I guess I just figured that if you had enough for everyone, I could give each kid a set of chopsticks from China.

My aunt: OH, well I DO have a whole bag of CHOPSTICKS! I probably have about a hundred of those. I would be so glad to get rid of those!!!

Me: (totally confused at this point) What is it that you have 8 of?

My aunt: Chapsticks.


I hope you are laughing, Steve, and that you didn't stop at "Today I went to...." Someday, I'm sure I'll be writing these kinds of stories about conversations with you! LOL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for starting off my day with a laugh!! I had to re-read this because I thought it was so funny!! I hope the kids enjoyed the "chopsticks" as opposed to the "chapstick"!!