Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Eating My Words

It was a short two evenings ago when T and I were sharing with our Bible Study friends that ever since we had our sewer line fixed back in January, we have all been fairly healthy, other than the stomach flu the girls brought home from school. I do remember that slight feeling of angst when the words slipped from my mouth, wondering if I'd jinxed us! Both Em and Kt have had some allergy issues over the past month and Em, I had noticed, was having some trouble hearing these days. Just a kindergarten thing? or something more??

Fast forward to today, which was shaping up to be one of my busiest days of the year! Last night I finished up calligraphying Kt's teacher's wedding invitations, purchased some craft supplies for the Daisy Girl Scout meeting I was in charge of and went over my busy schedule with T. On my list: water aerobics from 9:30-10:30, Girls Grace Adventure meeting/luncheon 11:00-12:30, tutor 1:00-2:00, Daisies 3:30-5. I had planned on getting some planning done for that meeting in my little free slot, as well as putting together a lasagne for dinner. It was a tight schedule, but I was ready for it!

Then, I had to eat my words! Kt came into our room at 5:30 am wheezing like crazy. After medicating her, we listened to several hours of the dry, hacking asthma cough... none of us got any sleep! We ended up making a doctor's appointment for her and sending Em on to school. Because of our new medical insurance, I arrived early, only to find that the extra 25 minutes I gave us was not nearly enough time to undo the mess that is our insurance! We finally saw the doctor an hour after we arrived, and by that time Kt seemed much better.

While there, I mentioned Em's hearing and the doctor mentioned I should bring her in, so on my way out I made an appoint for her at 2:30. I got Kt home at 11 (when I was supposed to be 25 minutes away at my lunch meeting), we gathered all her school things, fed her and whisked her off to school. I then decided to return home to plan for my Daisy meeting before I needed to make another craft trip since I would not have time in the afternoon to pull anything together... went to tutoring and I'm pretty sure I had a granola bar for lunch. Yup, that sounds right!

After tutoring, I ran over to school to pick up Em for her doctor visit, ran into the school nurse who upon returning from lunch walked into her office to find Kt sitting there, having nearly fallen asleep at her desk! After going back and forth with her, I ended up taking both girls to the doctor. We waited another 45 minutes for that visit to find out that Em has a double ear infection. I then ran back to school slightly late for Daisies, T came to pick up Kt and bring her home to sleep.

And now? Kt has a temperature of 103 and Em LOVES her Zithromax. Tomorrow is "Take Your Daughter to Work Day" and Kt is very upset that she likely will not make it. I had a successful meeting and nice nap when I got home, oh, and pizza for dinner!

It's worth mentioning that injected into my day of despair was an IM from Jeremy, who wrote a nice blogpost about one of T's posts and wanted to share it with me. It was a reminder to me that God is constantly there, even when we have checked out for the day. Thanks, Jeremy! His conversation also reminded me (as I was complaining!) that I need to be thankful for my problems - like what a pain in the neck insurance is. At least I have medical insurance to be annoyed by! So, that was my day and I've decided against thinking about what tomorrow might bring!

No comments: