Sunday, April 08, 2007

Corrective Measures

Happy Easter!!

We had a wonderful weekend with my family here in MD, aside from freezing weather! It's always nice to visit, clean my house (thanks, oh neatnik sister-in-law) and make some awesome food together. We celebrated a holiday that is near and dear to my heart.

We figured we had a little corrective work to do when I asked the girls in front of my family - never a good idea - what Easter is really all about. Em was quick to chime, "The Easter bunny!?" Once corrected, I could see the confusion written on her face. I can say that I'm partly to blame, as I insist in our family on carrying on traditions that were a part of my own upbringing that I felt afforded me some amount of imaginative, magical wonder.

As a child, I was always excited when Easter rolled around. It's a unique holiday in that it always falls on a Sunday, due to it's falling on Passover week, the day after the Jewish sabbath. In our house growing up, the one thing I knew for sure was that my dad had an "in" with the Easter bunny. I was so proud of that!! He typically spent every single Saturday night up at our little Baptist church preparing for Sunday morning. Whether it be Sunday School, his organist job or just general church meetings, he would be up there late into the night. So, how did I know he personally knew the Easter bunny?

As a child, my inquisitive mind was constantly questioning each and every circumstance. I recall needing to see everything for myself, as I am extremely visual as well as curious. There I would wait, Christmas Eve, Easter Eve with my chin on my arm on the windowsill waiting to catch a glimpse of either Santa and the reindeer or the Easter bunny. It was tradition. I'm pretty sure I even continued it after I knew the truth. But for the Easter bunny, I would watch for my dad. I had asked my mom one year when the Easter bunny actually comes. Her reply? "He will come home with your dad." That sealed it - my dad had direct access with my candy, and I had visions of my dad walking home (the church was within sight of my house!) and that big bunny hopping along next to him with my basket!

I had to chuckle when Em answered, because sure it's my fault! Today, we read the Bible together as a family so we would all be clear about Easter, and she was just filling in the blanks. She knew the story well, all while munching on her malted milk eggs!! Very matter-of-factly, she explained to us that Mary didn't find him, just his cloth... still not really grasping the full truth, but knowing enough of the facts that I felt a little better.

Will we ever truly grasp what Christ did on this day? It was the culmination and the beginning, the redemption and the charge, the agony and the glory. For those who witnessed that day, I cannot imagine what was going through their minds. The grief, the anger, the fright, the amazement. To walk with him after he'd risen and not recognize Him? We still do that today. It's just so mindboggling to me. I don't even know in my heart if it's enough to just be thankful for what Christ did for me. I ought to be repentant, in awe, ashamed, bewildered, mortified, astonished all at the same time.

I ought to take some corrective measures in my own life today. I ought to live like Christ did something amazing for me and for each person that I meet every day of my life. I don't know why it's so hard, I don't know why I get so distracted, I don't know why the Easter bunnies and their candy are sometimes more enticing to me - but I'll admit I am shamefully unfocused much of the time. It's time to grasp the grace and mercy that has been extended to me from the only person worthy to do that - I am ever so thankful, and everything else....

Nothing But the Blood

What can wash away my sin?

Nothing but the blood of Jesus
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

Oh, precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow
No other fount I know
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

For my pardon this I see
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
For my cleansing this I plea
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

Nothing can for sin atone
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
Naught of good that I have done
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

This is all my hope and peace
Nothing but the blood of Jesus
This is all my righteousness
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

Oh, precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow
No other fount I know
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

~Robert Lowry

1 comment:

Leslie said...

*I ought to live like Christ did something amazing for me and for each person that I meet every day of my life.*

i like that a lot. great post, d. i miss you!