Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Down South



My mom and I had a wonderful visit in Savannah. We spent a considerable amount of time with my niece and nephew, who are the two most adorable little things you'd ever meet! Sky is a spunky, intense, determined, beautiful little toddler. Bren is an easy-going, smiley, carefree and bouncy little baby. We just couldn't get enough of them!!

On this visit, we were sure to hit the Byrd Cookie Company and Moe's Southwest grill. A trip to the beach would have been fun, but we couldn't quite fit that in between wind gusts and sprinkles. My mom and I actually spent most of our time babysitting, and it was such a treat, really! It's always fun to have access to great kids that you don't have to take care of 24/7. Hehe!

The only disappointment about our trip was the tragedy at Virginia Tech. I am so heartbroken for all those who lost a son, daughter, sister, brother, friend, mother, father.... There are hardly words that cover exactly how I feel, so I'm certain they are finding it difficult to think of any. There are so many circumstances surrounding this incident that I do not understand, so many questions I have but I think it's becoming clear that evil penetrated a peaceful, tranquil college campus. I hope and pray for those students who will return to campus, that they can regain some sense of safety and overcome any fears they may have about returning.

Our good friends who work at UMD for Campus Crusade both graduated from VA Tech and are heading there this weekend to help out their counterparts, who lost three students in the shootings. We also know of a Navigator student who was shot in the arm. Please keep this campus in your prayers as those who minister to this student body have found themselves in a position to reach many students with messages of hope and healing. Pray that God would move into the heart of this campus, bringing light into the darkness that overshadows this incident.

I must admit that the world sometimes scares me to death. I look at my little niece and nephew, my own girls and the friends they all have and wonder what will the world have to offer them? How much worse can it get? Will I ever feel like my kids are safe when they are out from under my roof? Really, when I dwell on these things I am just sad and fearful.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Whatever is good, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me, put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

Philippians 4:7-9

No comments: