Monday, March 09, 2009

Your Federal Tax Dollars

In the thousands of pages of federal spending bills recently passed through Congress, signed by our new president, there are bound to be many things I'd prefer not to pay for. Chances are, I won't even know what most of those things are. At the same time, there's a good chance I will benefit in some small way as well, and not even realize it. I mean, there's money in there for parks, water fountains, roads, textbooks... you name it, it's in there. Confusing, not so controversial. There are things, however, in there or in executive orders, that I don't care to spend my tax money on, and they are extremely controversial. Things like abortion, embryonic stem cell research funding and abortion in nations other than our own. Why? Because I cannot bring myself to agree that unborn children don't deserve our utmost attention, a voice in the world and that God is begging us to defend those who cannot defend themselves. While I realize it is the plight of millions who have disabled or disease-ridden loved ones to do anything, at any cost, to find a cure, I just think we are called to be ethical and reasonable in our response - and also loving. If we asked for federal tax dollars to print the word God on a building, we'd probably be taken to court. If we ask for federal tax dollars to enact "population control" in developing countries through abortion, we're awarded. There's just something wrong with that.

Realistic view on embryonic stem cell research, which has never been banned - only the funding of creating new embryonic stem cell lines was banned.

The door is now open to the business of embryonic stem cell research... and the implications thereof. It's a sad day indeed.

No comments: