Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Katrina: God's Punishment or Answer to Prayer?

So, I've been reading some comments on a blog that I read occassionally. Actually, I've only been reading it because T put it on my bloglines list!! The author, Alex McManus, poses the question "Is Katrina God's punishment on the US?" Now, I can understand this question but I'd counter it with, "Can God answer a prayer for revival with a hurricane?"

I am amazed how God has, for me personally, allowed me to witness what I think is the closest thing to an Acts church that I've ever seen through this tragedy of Katrina. T and I know a pastor in the NO area and I have been following the most amazing stories through his church's website. I can see that God has mobilized His body in NO in a way that I only wondered about as our pastor back here in MD spoke this summer on the book of Acts.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm praying for a natural disaster to come my way, but I think maybe it is just way too comfortable where I sit to really experience what it means to be an active member of the body of Christ in the most primitive way. There is certainly a psychological toll to pay, Christian or non-Christian, for these people involved, but I honestly look forward to these updates at their website because God is just being so real moment by moment with them - I'm excited and scared for them all at the same time!!

So, I guess my real question is, how can I be a truly active member of Christ's body without devastation?? Unfortunately, I think God knows that in order to get our attention, sometimes He has to pour out His wrath. And His wrath? Well, I think it's much, much bigger than New Orleans or Katrina or Rita. I hope as His body, that we can be mobilized and active and spiritfilled before his true wrath is poured out on us.

OK - now I'm just rambling...

No comments: