Friday, October 07, 2005

A Day in the Life...

Actually, today is pretty eventless. We got up late, rushed around to get ready, got Em off to school, Kt made it eventually, I ran to Curves. I like Curves. It fits into my schedule, given I have just three 2 1/2 hour segments of totally free time a week it's an easy 30 minute work out. I'd much rather swim, but for now this works. After Curves I ran home to shower, change, clean up a bit then off to get Em. While home I got a call from Kt's school - she won the ACE award at school today. Her teacher nominated her because she's perfect! Well, not exactly (haha) but pretty close. They had all wonderful things to say about her, like she always participates, is kind to others, always helpful, gets her work done, etc. I know all this, but it's nice to be recognized. Last year she was awared this ACE award early in the year, also, because she had to switch classrooms - very traumatic, for another post! Anyway, she's a great kid and sometimes I find it hard to believe she's mine!!

Now, for number two! I pick Em up at school. It's pouring rain here (I guess we'll be skipping the DC Festival) so I got Em her new umbrella that she has used once or twice. On the way to school she broke the plastic handle and all the glitter gel junk sprayed all over the car. She's says to me, "Now I don't got nothin' to use." Now, we don't talk like that around here. We use proper English!! But Em has her own "proper English" and it's like nothing I've ever heard! She reluctantly went into her room and then made a big scene wanting me to stay with her. She doesn't usually do this, but it's a far cry from Kt, who used to beg me to leave!

Later on when I picked up Emily, she told me they did math boxes today. Math boxes are these little jewelry type boxes with different items in them. Each child gets a box and counts the items in the box. Em tells me, very excitedly, "Mine had little, tiny hula poops in it!" Now, that's not a typo. Em has different words for everything, and it doesn't matter how many times we correct her, breakfast is "brayquist", yougurt is "yogrit" and hula hoops are "hula poops". I think possibly the family favorites are video, which becomes "vayoo" and DVD, which is always DDD. Oh yes, and Snow White and the Seven "h0-h0s" always get a good laugh!

Now Em is very articulate, animated and verbal. She LOVES to communicate orally with everyone so it really makes it all the more entertaining that she makes these little errors. I wonder sometimes if I was more strict with Kt about saying things correctly or if Em just doesn't care to be corrected. Next year we begin Kindergarten with her and I'm thinking, as I got this call today, will Em get an ACE award? I'm certain she will, but it might come in April or May I'm thinking! If she attended school with animals she would get it the first day! She LOVES animals. She's taking care of our dog right now who has a cast on his leg. We'll just have to wait and see. They are so truly different!

Well, I better go hang out with my little four year old who "don't have nothin' to do."

No comments: