Monday, January 15, 2007

Third World in Suburbia...

WARNING: Some content not for the faint of stomachs!

Well, OK, it's not exactly the third world, I mean, our house is large, neighbors not living right up against us and we have the ability to have indoor plumbing. It's just not working at the moment!! We have a small (well, large!) sewage backup into our house. It's not pretty, will require a lot of cleaning and disinfecting and we're nearing the 24 hour mark. Needless to say, I've had better days! We are expecting a friend of our family tonight - he's supposed to stay here all week - sleep and shower.... I'm not really sure he's going to want to do that!! EEK! Here is a list of things you cannot do when you don't have working drains:

use the toilet
use the sink
clean your house
brush your teeth (I chose to do this with a cup of water over a toilet that desperately needs flushing)
wash - do your laundry (which really stinks - pun intended - when someone wets the bed!)
shower - this is a problem for me, as I am still sleepy from lack of sleep worrying about how smelly our house will be!

The plumber is here and, well, T just gave me the update. It would appear that there is a tree root that has grown into our sewage pipe. Only in suburbia!! I confirm, this is no third world country problem!! Just a really expensive, overpriced suburban issue!

UPDATE: I have had it with Ryland Homes!! It appears that we have yet another builder defect - the pipe from our house to the sewer was not installed properly, leading to that connection being easily overtaken by the roots from a shrub!!!! I mean, come on folks!! We have had so many builder issues with this house that I don't have enough time to list them. Looks like we'll be in the hole once again - ugh.

No comments: